Solution of differential equation with Dirac Delta

In summary, SarthakC is trying to solve a differential equation of the form $$\partial_x^2y + \delta(x) \partial_x y + y= 0$$ with periodic boundary conditions. He is looking for a technique to get information on the derivative around the delta function. He has tried using a Fourier transform.
SarthakC
Is it possible to solve a differential equation of the following form?

$$\partial_x^2y + \delta(x) \partial_x y + y= 0$$

where ##\delta(x)## is the dirac delta function. I need the solution for periodic boundary conditions from ##-\pi## to ##\pi##.

I've realized that I can solve this for some types of boundary conditions. What i'd be really interested in is how to do this for periodic boundary conditions...

Technically, if I approach the problem by splitting the regions ##x<0## and ##x>0## and solve in each part separately, I can solve it and get linear equations in both regions. This will give me ##4## variables. Periodicity, and periodicity of the derivative will give me 2 equations. Continuity at ##x=0## will give me one more. How do i relate the derivative around the ##x=0## interface?

I guess I should make my actual problem a bit clearer as well. I'm basically interested in some technique by which I can get the information for the change in derivative of the function around the delta function.

A little background: If there was no delta function, but rather say some gaussian approximation, I would be expect to be able to solve it, but I don't see why I can't get the information of the derivative around ##x=0## when i put in a dirac delta function. My actual problem is reasonably more complicated but this is the quickest simple example I could reduce my problem to. If I try to integrate in an epsilon region around ##0##, then I end up with an expression in ##y^\prime(0)##, which isn't defined.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried using a Fourier transform?

1. What is a differential equation with Dirac Delta?

A differential equation with Dirac Delta is a type of differential equation that includes the Dirac Delta function, also known as the unit impulse function. This function is defined as zero for all values of its argument except at the origin, where it is infinite. It is commonly used to represent a point source or concentration of mass, charge, or energy in a system.

2. How is the Dirac Delta function used in solving differential equations?

The Dirac Delta function is used to represent a specific initial condition or boundary condition in a differential equation. It allows for the incorporation of point sources or concentrations in a system, making it a powerful tool in solving differential equations that involve these types of conditions.

3. What are the challenges of solving a differential equation with Dirac Delta?

One of the main challenges in solving a differential equation with Dirac Delta is dealing with the infinite value of the Dirac Delta function at the origin. This requires careful handling and manipulation of the function in order to obtain a meaningful solution. Additionally, the Dirac Delta function can introduce discontinuities in the solution, making it more complex to work with.

4. Can you provide an example of solving a differential equation with Dirac Delta?

One example of solving a differential equation with Dirac Delta is the heat equation with a point source. In this case, the Dirac Delta function represents a sudden input of heat at a specific point in the system. The solution involves convolving the Dirac Delta function with the Green's function of the heat equation in order to obtain the temperature distribution in the system.

5. What are the applications of solving differential equations with Dirac Delta?

Solving differential equations with Dirac Delta has many applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used in heat transfer problems, electrical circuits, and fluid dynamics, among others. It allows for the modeling of point sources or concentrations in these systems, making the solutions more accurate and realistic.