Math Biology Experiment: Analyzing Cell Turnover Rates in Different Ages

• Thread starter csb
  • Start date
In summary, a fledgling mathematician is conducting research on math biology and is interested in determining the fate of cells at different ages. They have attached sample data for 0-day old and 6-week old cells and are looking for a mathematical model to quantify this data, specifically focusing on the turnover rate or growth rate of the cells. They are unsure if they should use the age structured population model for this analysis.
csb
Hi all, first of all I apologise if my question is not supposed to be in this thread.
I am a fledgling mathematician, currently doing research on math biology.
So, I have an experiment to determine the fate of cells at certain age (see attached fig). Basically, we would like to know if we could find any differences between 0-day old cell, 6-week old cell, 12-week old cell, etc. I am particularly interested in turnover rate (growth rate) of that cell.

Attached is the sample data for 0-day old and 6-week old cell. So, what kind of mathematical model should I use to quantify this data ? I know that the variable of interest here are the age of the cell and time, but I'm not sure should I use the age structured population model ?

Thanks

Attachments

• fig.pdf
    35.9 KB · Views: 232
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

1. What is mathematical biology?

Mathematical biology is a field that uses mathematical tools and models to study biological systems, such as population dynamics, biochemical reactions, and evolutionary processes.

2. What are some examples of mathematical biology?

Examples of mathematical biology include population growth models, predator-prey interactions, gene expression models, and epidemiological models.

3. What is the importance of mathematical biology?

Mathematical biology allows scientists to better understand complex biological systems and make predictions about their behavior. It also helps in designing experiments and developing new treatments for diseases.

4. What skills are needed to work in mathematical biology?

A strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus, differential equations, and statistics, is essential for working in mathematical biology. Knowledge of biology and computer programming is also useful.

5. How is mathematical biology different from other fields of biology?

Mathematical biology uses mathematical models and simulations to study biological systems, while other fields of biology may rely more on observational or experimental methods. It also allows for a more quantitative and predictive approach to studying biological phenomena.