Is Norton AV Putting My Computer at Risk?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hair
In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with a program that lists threats and gives the options to skip or exclude them. The person is not satisfied with either option as it leaves their computer vulnerable. Suggestions are made to try booting in safe mode and updating virus definitions. The confusing interface and outdated definitions are also mentioned. A paranoid approach of searching for the listed files and using a manual solution if a virus is found is suggested.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I do not understand this program.

When it finishes its scan, it's going to list a bunch of threats, some it will have purged, most it will have failed. And it will give me two choices:
Skip - do not bother doing anything about these files
Exclude - do not bother checking these files again

I don't want to EITHER of those! Any option I choose leaves my computer wide open!

So, I do what I do every time. I stare at the buttons for several minutes, paralyzed, then I [X] kill the program, having chosen neither option.

What are they THINKING!??

Computer science news on Phys.org
Norton is bloated. Try Nod32

Try booting in safe mode and then scan.

DrMark said:
Try booting in safe mode and then scan.
Good point.That would makje sense and does address my "why it can't delete threats" problem (in fact, it makes one wonder why NAV doesn't suggest running in safe mode), but it doesn't address the extremely confusing interface. Do I want to Skip? or Exclude?

Are your virus defs up to date (Sept. 8, 2005) ? If not update and rerun NAV. If you don't have a subscription (for the virus defs) and the defs are old I'd take the following paranoid approach: Write down every file name that Norton gives you the option on (skip or exclude). Then go to Symantec and search ( http://www.symantec.com/search/ ) for the various files to see if a virus has been associated with any of them. If so use the by hand solution given by Symantec if not exclude.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Norton AV?

Norton AV (AntiVirus) is a software program designed to detect, prevent, and remove malicious software from a computer. It helps protect your computer from viruses, malware, spyware, and other online threats.

2. How does Norton AV work?

Norton AV works by constantly monitoring your computer for any suspicious activity or files. It scans your system for known viruses and compares them to a database of known threats. If it detects any malicious software, it will either remove or quarantine the threat to protect your computer.

3. Can Norton AV slow down my computer?

Yes, like any other software, Norton AV can use up system resources and slow down your computer. However, it is designed to run in the background and should not significantly impact your computer's performance. If you notice a slowdown, you can adjust the scan settings to run at a more convenient time.

4. What is the relationship between Norton AV and grey hair?

There is no direct relationship between Norton AV and grey hair. However, some people may experience stress or anxiety when dealing with computer viruses and other online threats, which can lead to premature greying of hair.

5. Is Norton AV the best antivirus software available?

Norton AV is one of the top antivirus software programs, but there are many other reputable options available. It is important to research and compare different antivirus software to find the best fit for your specific needs and budget.