Solving a Laplace Transform Integral

In summary: GeorgeI met some problem in the following integration; does anyone know how to solve it?\frac{2m}{h^2}\frac{1}{4\pi}\int{d^3xe^{i\mathbf{k\cdot r}}\frac{V_0e^{-\mu r}}\mu r}e^{ikx}.The key part that can not be solved is:\int_0^{\infty}\int_0^{\pi}e^{(ik-\mu) r}e^{ikr\cos\theta}\sin\theta d\theta dr.In summary, the user is seeking help with a difficult integral involving a Laplace transform. They have attempted
rbwang1225
\documentclass[12pt,a4paper,twoside]{article}
\usepackage{amssymb,amsmath,amsbsy,amscd,fancyhdr}
\usepackage[mathscr]{eucal}
\usepackage{tikz}
\usepackage{graphicx,cite,xcolor,comment,soul,ulem}

\begin{document}

I met some problem in the following integration; does anyone know how to solve it?

\begin{equation}
\frac{2m}{h^2}\frac{1}{4\pi}\int{d^3xe^{i\mathbf{k\cdot r}}\frac{V_0e^{-\mu r}}\mu r}e^{ikx}.\
\end{equation}
The key part that can not be solved is:

\begin{equation}
\int_0^{\infty}\int_0^{\pi}e^{(ik-\mu) r}e^{ikr\cos\theta}\sin\theta d\theta dr.\
\end{equation}

I found it can be treated as a Laplace transform of

\begin{equation}
\frac{e^{ikr}\sin(kr)}r
\end{equation}

And the solution is

\begin{equation}
i\tanh^{-1}[\frac{k}{k+i\mu}].
\end{equation}

Any help would be appreciated!
\end{document}

Physics news on Phys.org
The LaTex on the forum is somewhat buggy. You must use the "preview" function and then also tell your browser to reload the page. (Before reloading the page, the "preview" may show nonsensical or obsolete LaTex.)

So let me convert your post to LaTex and we'll see if a Laplace transform expert will answer.

-----

I met some problem in the following integration; does anyone know how to solve it?

[tex]
\frac{2m}{h^2}\frac{1}{4\pi}\int{d^3xe^{i\mathbf{k\cdot r}}\frac{V_0e^{-\mu r}}\mu r}e^{ikx}.
[/tex]

The key part that can not be solved is:

[tex]
\int_0^{\infty}\int_0^{\pi}e^{(ik-\mu) r}e^{ikr\cos\theta}\sin\theta d\theta dr.\
[/tex]

I found it can be treated as a Laplace transform of

[tex]
\frac{e^{ikr}\sin(kr)}r
[/tex]

And the solution is

[tex]
i\tanh^{-1}[\frac{k}{k+i\mu}].
[/tex]

Any help would be appreciated!
-------------------

How do I use "preview" function?

Thanks for your help!

At the bottom of the posting window, you have two buttons, "Submit Reply" and "Preview Post". The preview function is the right button. And if you need it, reloading your browser is F5 on most browsers.

Ha,I got it! Thank you very much.

That looks something like the Born approximation for the Yukawa potential to me! I think you might have got yourself an extraneous factor in there somehow... Did you mean
[tex]
\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}\frac{1}{4\pi}\int{d^3x\frac{V_0e^{-\mu r}}{\mu r}e^{i\vec{k}.\vec{x}}}
[/tex]
or something similar?

In your change of variables I think you lost another factor of r, which is what made things difficult. You needn't worry about such things as Laplace transforms here. It looks like you managed the theta integral perfectly well, but your lost factor of r made the radial integral much harder than it should have been. Check your algebra carefully.

No, my consideration is not the Born approximation for the Yukawa potential. If you have Sakurai's book, please check Eq. (7.2.12). I want to confirm the statement (7.2.13) by doing direct calculation, since I don't understand what did he mean by "replace [tex]e^{ikr'} [/tex] by 1".

Ah OK, yes I've got Sakurai. The integral in (7.2.12) is:
[tex]
\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}\frac{1}{4\pi}\int{d^3x\frac{V_0 e^{-\mu r}}{\mu r}\frac{e^{ikr}}{r}}
[/tex]
so I still think you have an extra term. The approximation made is eikr=1, which is valid for k much less than 1/r, and the exponential means that the integral will only contribute for r less than roughly 1/mu, so it's a good approximation for k much less than mu.

Last edited:
You have lost this term [tex]e^{-i \mathbf k \cdot \mathbf r}[/tex]. After doing the calculation, I take the limit k->0 and get the wanted form (7.2.13).

Regards

1. What is a Laplace transform integral?

A Laplace transform integral is a mathematical tool used to convert a function in the time domain to its equivalent function in the frequency domain. It is often used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

2. How do you solve a Laplace transform integral?

To solve a Laplace transform integral, you must first use the Laplace transform formula to find the transformed function. Then, you can use tables or inverse Laplace transform techniques to find the original function in the time domain.

3. What are the benefits of using Laplace transform integrals?

Laplace transform integrals have several benefits, including simplifying the process of solving differential equations, allowing for easier analysis of systems, and providing a more intuitive understanding of complex functions.

4. What are some common applications of Laplace transform integrals?

Laplace transform integrals are commonly used in engineering and physics, particularly in the fields of control systems, signal processing, and circuit analysis. They are also used in other areas such as probability and statistics.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace transform integrals?

While Laplace transform integrals have many benefits, they also have some limitations. They can only be used for linear systems, and the inverse Laplace transform may not always exist for certain functions. Additionally, some functions may require complex techniques to solve using Laplace transform integrals.