So, there is a way to prove it.Thanks, I'll try that!

• Thread starter Poopsilon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation discusses the interchangeability of limits and whether all double limits can be written in terms of a limit of a sequence of functions. An example statement is provided and the need for exchanging limits is questioned. It is later determined that the correct statement to prove is the existence of the derivative at a point. A potential method for proving this is suggested through the use of a primitive function.
Poopsilon
So I'd like to start out by asking why the interchanging of limits is phrased in terms of the property of uniform convergence? Can all double limits be written in terms of the limit of some sequence of functions and the limit as the input variable for these functions approaches some specific value?

For instance, consider this statement: Let [tex]f[/tex] be a continuous function defined on the interval [tex][a,b][/tex] such that [tex]f'[/tex] exists on [tex](a,c)\cup(c,b)[/tex] and such that [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c} f'(x)[/tex] exists, that is to say when the left and right limits exist and are equal. Prove that [tex]f'(c)[/tex] exists.

Now I am fairly certain this is true and its a curiosity that came up in my homework while trying to stitch together a piece-wise function and prove it is everywhere infinitely differentiable.

The way I see it, what I need to show is this:

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow c} \left ( \lim_{t\rightarrow x} \frac{f(x) - f(t)}{x - t}\right ) = \lim_{t\rightarrow x} \left ( \lim_{x\rightarrow c} \frac{f(x) - f(t)}{x - t}\right )[/tex]

So I need to exchange these two limits, neither of which is the limit of a sequence of functions. Any thoughts?

Edit: Actually now that I look at it I'm not entirely sure whether the right hand side of the equality is well-defined, since once the first limit is taken there will no longer exist an x to take t to, I can't decide whether I can consider x simply a dummy-variable in this case or not.. maybe it should just be:

[tex]\lim_{t\rightarrow c} \frac{f(c) - f(t)}{c - t}[/tex]

Although that would require first proving that the derivative exists at c... which would prove my claim, although my claim seems to imply continuity of the derivative at that point as well.. hmm..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Poopsilon said:
So I'd like to start out by asking why the interchanging of limits is phrased in terms of the property of uniform convergence? Can all double limits be written in terms of the limit of some sequence of functions and the limit as the input variable for these functions approaches some specific value?

For instance, consider this statement: Let [tex]f[/tex] be a continuous function defined on the interval [tex][a,b][/tex] such that [tex]f'[/tex] exists on [tex](a,c)\cup(c,b)[/tex] and such that [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c} f'(x)[/tex] exists, that is to say when the left and right limits exist and are equal. Prove that [tex]f'(c)[/tex] exists.

Now I am fairly certain this is true and its a curiosity that came up in my homework while trying to stitch together a piece-wise function and prove it is everywhere infinitely differentiable.

The way I see it, what I need to show is this:

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow c} \left ( \lim_{t\rightarrow x} \frac{f(x) - f(t)}{x - t}\right ) = \lim_{t\rightarrow x} \left ( \lim_{x\rightarrow c} \frac{f(x) - f(t)}{x - t}\right )[/tex]

So I need to exchange these two limits, neither of which is the limit of a sequence of functions. Any thoughts?

Edit: Actually now that I look at it I'm not entirely sure whether the right hand side of the equality is well-defined, since once the first limit is taken there will no longer exist an x to take t to, I can't decide whether I can consider x simply a dummy-variable in this case or not.. maybe it should just be:

[tex]\lim_{t\rightarrow c} \frac{f(c) - f(t)}{c - t}[/tex]

Although that would require first proving that the derivative exists at c... which would prove my claim, although my claim seems to imply continuity of the derivative at that point as well.. hmm..

Indeed, it is not the exchanging of the limits that you need to prove, but it actually is

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c} \left ( \lim_{t\rightarrow x} \frac{f(x) - f(t)}{x - t}\right ) = \lim_{x\rightarrow c} \frac{f(x) - f(c)}{x - c}\right )[/tex]

I believe, one could do this with epsilon-delta definitions. But I think I have a nicer method:

Let

[tex]g(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}f^\prime(x) & x\neq c\\ \lim_{x\rightarrow c}{f^\prime(x)} & x=c \end{array}\right.[/tex]

Then g is a continuous function, that has a primitive function. This primitive function is continuous, and it can easily be shown that it will coincide with f, since f is also continuous...

1. What is meant by "interchanging of limits" in mathematics?

Interchanging of limits refers to the process of rearranging the order of limits in a mathematical expression or equation. This is often done in order to simplify the expression or to make it easier to evaluate.

2. When can limits be safely interchanged?

Limits can only be interchanged if the expression or equation in question converges absolutely. This means that the limit of the absolute value of the expression must exist and be finite.

3. What is the importance of interchanging limits in mathematical analysis?

Interchanging limits is an important tool in mathematical analysis because it allows for the evaluation of complex expressions and equations by breaking them down into simpler parts. This technique is commonly used in calculus and other branches of mathematics.

4. Are there any limitations to interchanging limits?

Yes, there are limitations to interchanging limits. As mentioned before, the expression or equation must converge absolutely in order for the limits to be safely interchanged. Additionally, the order of the limits must be carefully considered and cannot be interchanged arbitrarily.

5. Can interchanging limits change the value of an expression?

No, interchanging limits does not change the value of an expression or equation. It simply rearranges the order of the limits to make it easier to evaluate. As long as the limits are interchanged correctly, the value of the expression will remain the same.