What makes a sound eerie

• Thread starter DavidSnider
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, the sounds that give us the creeps are those that we cannot identify right away and that make us feel scared or panicked.
DavidSnider
Gold Member
What makes a sound "eerie"

Any ideas why droning sounds, echos, etc give us the creeps?

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't think those sounds are inherently creepy, but we've been conditioned by scary movies to associate them with creepiness.

I would say that it is a sound that you can not immediately identify and induces feelings of panic or worry. A sound that stimulates your fight or flight response perhaps.

In 2004 author Jon Ronson revealed a military report titled "Non-Lethal Weapons: Terms and References." There were a total of 21 acoustic weapons listed, in various stages of development, including the Infrasound ("Very low-frequency sound which can travel long distances and easily penetrate most buildings and vehicles...biophysical effects: nausea, loss of bowels, disorientation, vomiting, potential internal organ damage or death may occur. Superior to ultrasound...").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Less-lethal_weapon

Eerie sounds probably contain low frequency components below the range of human hearing that cause nausea, loss of bowel control and other symptoms associated with fear and disgust.

lisab said:
I don't think those sounds are inherently creepy, but we've been conditioned by scary movies to associate them with creepiness.

Scary movies are scary mostly because there is no audio from the scene, only the creepy background music. In real life it would be almost impossible for a monster, homicidal maniac, etc. to sneak up on you in the dark because you would hear him. But in the movies, the victim is always taken completely by surprise when the villain grabs her from behind.

The military has done experiments on sneaking up on sentries and they found that, basically, it doesn't work - even elite soldiers often fail to sneak up on the Gomer Pyle of the outfit. But in the movies all you hear is creepy music and then - gotcha!

Last edited:

I agree it should be hard to sneak up on someone who is on the alert. However I once covered several yards rapidly in the woods during a paintball game to sneak up on my friend, who was laying down facing away at an angle on open ground. I quickly moved to point blank range and said "SURRENDER" and totally startled and embarassed the dude. He gave up without my having to fire a shot. Very gratifying.

Sounds that were unidentified in the dark when I was a kid were beyond eerie, and I loath creepy horror music.

lisab said:
Well, that could be readily be controlled for, by playing them before a group of individuals not used to scary movies.

Besides, who really gets scared by scary movies??

Scary music is scarier with your eyes closed!

Read more Here

What makes a sound eerie?

There are a few factors that can contribute to a sound being perceived as eerie. These include:

• The frequency or pitch of the sound: High-pitched sounds can often be perceived as more eerie than lower-pitched sounds.
  • The use of dissonance: When notes or frequencies clash, it can create a sense of unease or tension in the listener.
  • The use of silence or absence of sound: Sudden silences or gaps in sound can create a sense of uncertainty and unease.
  • The context or association of the sound: If a sound is associated with something frightening or unsettling, it can be perceived as eerie.
  • The use of unconventional or unusual sound sources: Sounds that are unfamiliar or unexpected can be perceived as eerie.

Why do some people find certain sounds eerie while others do not?

People's perception of sound can be influenced by a variety of factors such as personal experiences, cultural background, and individual sensitivity to different types of sounds. Some people may have a higher tolerance for unsettling or eerie sounds, while others may be more sensitive to them.

Can certain musical techniques make a sound more eerie?

Yes, certain musical techniques such as minor keys, dissonance, and the use of unconventional instruments or sound effects can contribute to a sound being perceived as eerie. These techniques can create a sense of tension, unease, and unpredictability in the listener.

Is there a scientific explanation for why certain sounds are perceived as eerie?

While there is no definitive answer, some studies have suggested that the human brain may associate certain sounds with danger or warning signals, triggering a fear response. Additionally, the use of dissonance in music may activate the amygdala, a part of the brain associated with fear and emotional processing.

Can sounds be intentionally designed to be eerie?

Yes, sound designers and composers can use various techniques to create a sense of eeriness in their work. This can involve manipulating pitch, timbre, and tempo, as well as incorporating elements of silence and surprise. Additionally, the context and association of a sound can also play a significant role in how it is perceived by the listener.