Scientist/Engineers have to be socially unadapted? Wow but i like women to xD

• Thread starter AlexES16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that liking science and being socially adept are not mutually exclusive. The individuals in the conversation share their personal experiences and opinions on the matter, with some highlighting the stereotype portrayed by media and others emphasizing the importance of finding balance in life. Overall, the conversation encourages not conforming to stereotypes and being comfortable with one's interests and pursuits.
physMommy said:
Believe it or not, there are plenty of intelligent, fun and ATTRACTIVE women in this field, contrary to popular belief!

Yes, I married one.

Welcome to Physics Forums, physMommy!

Physics news on Phys.org
Way to go, George!
See, Alex THERE IS HOPE!

physMommy said:
Well, as a woman in physics I must say, I noticed no exclusivity to men in the topic of discussion.
That aside, who cares about the biased media, anyway? Only sheep hang on their every word.

If you are an intelligent and fun guy, I'm sure you'll attract the same. I hope that's what you're looking for because you will get bored with your spouse real quick otherwise.
If you want a dumb bimbo, then worry... they may not be interested in an intelligent person, or you may not have much to talk about and lose interest.
If you want a partner in life, find your match and she will also realize the stupid stereotypes out there, as well.
Believe it or not, there are plenty of intelligent, fun and ATTRACTIVE women in this field, contrary to popular belief!

I believe it too, I'm not hitched like George Jones, but I'm dating one who I think I very well may marry. Looks can be found everywhere, but brains are SCARCE. I should add, compassion and wit can be scarce too, and while my girlfriend is beautiful (biased of course), it was her wit that got me first. I find that people you love and respect become more attractive as time goes on, whatever the starting point.

Mu naught said:
Scientists just don't have much to say to plebeians. Amongst their own kind, they are usually quite social and even charming.

Not to much girls in engineering =(

xxChrisxx said:
I mean really... if you had to boil down the OP down to a sengle sentence it would go like this.

"I'm a scientist, but scientists are protrayed as people who don't like girls by the media, but I like girls. What do you think?"

OP asked for opinions and I gave it. I could have just said, scientists/engineers are humans, some humans like girls, some don't. The media tends to overplay stereotypes pay no heed to it.

My original response was meant to be a light hearted mocking of threads like this, not a bashing of the OP in particular. Hance the references to in the navy and flower pressing cage fighters.

I still stand by my opinion that, I think threads that are along the lines of "Do X do Y?" are utterly ridiculous.

On that note, I do feel kind of bad about the other thread as that WAS bashing the OP. It was a fairly bad day at work and my patience was chronically thin, I was going to delete my posts when I got home but the thread was locked by that time.

If you feel that this thread is such a waste why are you looking it?? Go watch the thing yo are interested dude, btw a lot of people have posted so maybe you are just angry and werid and you are one of those loosers.

George Jones said:
Yes, I married one.

Welcome to Physics Forums, physMommy!

Hahaha happy for you men =)

physMommy said:
Way to go, George!
See, Alex THERE IS HOPE!

hahaha yeah

AlexES16 said:
If you feel that this thread is such a waste why are you looking it?? Go watch the thing yo are interested dude, btw a lot of people have posted so maybe you are just angry and werid and you are one of those loosers.

Very cunning use of insults there, well done, very cutting.

Yes you've rumbled me, I am indeed one of those stereotypes I'm afraid. I am an Engineer and I have diagrams, schematics and GA drawings of women so I know how they work and what all the parts are called. I also have diagnosis flowcharts for when I have problems with women so I know the exact solution.

For the reasons above my success with women is assured.

xxChrisxx said:
Very cunning use of insults there, well done, very cutting.

Yes you've rumbled me, I am indeed one of those stereotypes I'm afraid. I am an Engineer and I have diagrams, schematics and GA drawings of women so I know how they work and what all the parts are called. I also have diagnosis flowcharts for when I have problems with women so I know the exact solution.

For the reasons above my success with women is assured.

You should make an Iphone App that routes the diagrames for you on request. You would make a fortune :smile:

Pattonias said:
You should make an Iphone App that routes the diagrames for you on request. You would make a fortune :smile:

I would prefer a modified version of the program that gives me the answers to all my wife's questions, with the lowest probability of getting into trouble.

Specifications are as follows. It should have voice recognition triggered by my wife's voice. Any statement that includes my full name Steven (rather than Steve or honey or sweetie or stud-muffin), and has a questioning inflection, with harsh tone, should trigger the program. Then, the best answer should be transmitted wirelessly by Bluetooth to my earpiece, within 2 seconds.

How much will that be? I have checkbook and pen in hand right now.

stevenb said:
I would prefer a modified version of the program that gives me the answers to all my wife's questions, with the lowest probability of getting into trouble.

Specifications are as follows. It should have voice recognition triggered by my wife's voice. Any statement that includes my full name Steven (rather than Steve or honey or sweetie or stud-muffin), and has a questioning inflection, with harsh tone, should trigger the program. Then, the best answer should be transmitted wirelessly by Bluetooth to my earpiece, within 2 seconds.

You would just end with a superposition of 100%/100% getting into trouble. :biggrin:

stevenb said:
Then, the best answer should be transmitted wirelessly by Bluetooth to my earpiece, within 2 seconds.

According to my calculations, when this event occurs the probability that you are screwed = 1.
When your full name is used there is only one responce the program would give.

"FLEE!"

xxChrisxx said:
According to my calculations, when this event occurs the probability that you are screwed = 1.
When your full name is used there is only one responce the program would give.

"FLEE!"

Could you at least have the program activate a magnetic field to deflect her iron skillet from hitting my backside while I'm in flight? :rolleyes:

I once heard a comedian that suggested an small red light above the ear that starts to blink when you're entering dangerous territory in the argument and goes solid red 10 seconds before you hit melt down. If only...

physMommy said:
I'd like to see some proof that there are plenty of "attractive" women in the fields mentioned.

physMommy said:

But at what cost, the liver?

Leptos said:
I'd like to see some proof that there are plenty of "attractive" women in the fields mentioned.

Plenty my butt...

Leptos said:

The proof is there, but sometimes one must look at least a millimeter below the skin to find it.

stevenb said:
The proof is there, but sometimes one must look at least a millimeter below the skin to find it.

If you take a millimeter of skin off every woman in the field, I'll wager there are no attractive women left

Office_Shredder said:
If you take a millimeter of skin off every woman in the field, I'll wager there are no attractive women left

That is wit at its best right there.

stevenb said:

Wouldn't a restraining order be much more efficient ? :devil:

DanP said:

Whole new spin on the "long distance relationship". Besides, it would put sex right out the window... literally.

nismaratwork said:
Besides, it would put sex right out the window... literally.

Ah yeah, you don't get to see her Britney no more o:) But no more nagging :P

DanP said:
Ah yeah, you don't get to see her Britney no more o:) But no more nagging :P

Hmmm... have you considered divorce or murder? Done properly I'm given to understand that both can be very effective at putting an end to nagging. :wink:

Office_Shredder said:

Oh boy! I said "LOOK under her skin", not skin her alive. - Hmmm, some latent psychopathic thoughts there. Maybe you should stay above the surface and just look under her clothes. :tongue2: That's only a misdemeanor. :wink:

DanP said:

The most efficient thing is to just stand outside of iron-skillet throwing range, which isn't too far from a typical women. But, the truth is, I love her too much to do that.

stevenb said:
The most efficient thing is to just stand outside of iron-skillet throwing range, which isn't too far from a typical women. But, the truth is, I love her too much to do that.

You mean, you love her too much to stay out of the throwing range ? :wink:

I wouldn't mind sex right out my window. It would be kind of kinky

Pattonias said:
I wouldn't mind sex right out my window. It would be kind of kinky

Counter-balancing would be critical though.

xxChrisxx said:
Counter-balancing would be critical though.

If that can't be figured by the folks here at PHYSICS Forums, humanity and the hope of hot window-sex is doomed. :biggrin:

nismaratwork said:
If that can't be figured by the folks here at PHYSICS Forums, humanity and the hope of hot window-sex is doomed. :biggrin:
:rofl:

Well, I considered makeing a diagram using levers, but decided that it would end with a warning so I restrained myself.

Well... so you get laid many times a week as an engineer?¿

As an engineer... none. As someone with a fiancee, plenty thanks.

Or was that a deliberately ironic post that I've missed.

Chronos said:
Toss away that pocket protector and free yourself! Girls will disagree with you no matter what your profession. The trick is to allow them to make the first assertion. You then mildly disagree, and permit them the pleasure of ripping your throat out. They will get all maternal after that and you can feed them the berries remaining in you good hand.

:) lol true! yeah, let the girls win and she'll be happy! berries are good! we love berries! and girls are lazy so feeding her is good too.
and don't have to lose the pocket protector! I hadn't seen one before but they're kinda cute in a really geeky way... sweet! shows he's got serious mental abilities... and is practical, and clean too!

Pattonias said:
:rofl:

Well, I considered makeing a diagram using levers, but decided that it would end with a warning so I restrained myself.

Yep that works too. And how did the restraints work out?

<h2>1. Why do people think that scientists/engineers are socially unadapted?</h2><p>There is a common stereotype that scientists and engineers are solely focused on their work and lack social skills. This stereotype is often perpetuated by media portrayals and jokes, but it is not necessarily true for all individuals in these fields.</p><h2>2. Is it necessary for scientists/engineers to be socially unadapted in order to excel in their careers?</h2><p>No, social skills are not directly linked to one's ability to excel in the fields of science and engineering. While some individuals may naturally be more introverted, it is important for all professionals to have strong communication and collaboration skills in order to succeed in their careers.</p><h2>3. Can scientists/engineers have successful personal relationships despite being socially unadapted?</h2><p>Yes, being socially unadapted does not mean that one cannot have successful personal relationships. While some individuals may struggle with social interactions, they can still maintain strong relationships with family and friends.</p><h2>4. Are there any benefits to being socially unadapted as a scientist/engineer?</h2><p>Being socially unadapted does not necessarily have any benefits in the field of science and engineering. However, some individuals may find that their introverted nature allows them to focus more deeply on their work and come up with innovative solutions.</p><h2>5. How can scientists/engineers work on improving their social skills?</h2><p>Just like any other skill, social skills can be developed and improved upon. Scientists and engineers can work on their communication, teamwork, and networking skills through practice, seeking feedback, and taking courses or workshops. It is important for professionals in these fields to have a well-rounded skill set that includes both technical and social abilities.</p>

1. Why do people think that scientists/engineers are socially unadapted?

There is a common stereotype that scientists and engineers are solely focused on their work and lack social skills. This stereotype is often perpetuated by media portrayals and jokes, but it is not necessarily true for all individuals in these fields.

2. Is it necessary for scientists/engineers to be socially unadapted in order to excel in their careers?

No, social skills are not directly linked to one's ability to excel in the fields of science and engineering. While some individuals may naturally be more introverted, it is important for all professionals to have strong communication and collaboration skills in order to succeed in their careers.

3. Can scientists/engineers have successful personal relationships despite being socially unadapted?

Yes, being socially unadapted does not mean that one cannot have successful personal relationships. While some individuals may struggle with social interactions, they can still maintain strong relationships with family and friends.

4. Are there any benefits to being socially unadapted as a scientist/engineer?

Being socially unadapted does not necessarily have any benefits in the field of science and engineering. However, some individuals may find that their introverted nature allows them to focus more deeply on their work and come up with innovative solutions.

5. How can scientists/engineers work on improving their social skills?

Just like any other skill, social skills can be developed and improved upon. Scientists and engineers can work on their communication, teamwork, and networking skills through practice, seeking feedback, and taking courses or workshops. It is important for professionals in these fields to have a well-rounded skill set that includes both technical and social abilities.