Find Unit Vector Orthogonal to A in Plane B & C

In summary, the solution to finding a unit vector orthogonal to A in the plane B and C is to take the cross product of B and C, which would result in a vector that satisfies the conditions. To obtain the unit vector, the result of the cross product should be divided by its magnitude, which would be 1/\sqrt{35}(5i+3k-j) if the cross product was calculated correctly.
MozAngeles

Homework Statement

Find a unit vector orthogonal to A in the plane B and C if A=2i-j+k B=i+2j+k and C=i+j-2k

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im thinking the solution is to take the cross product of B and C. and that would be the solution??

Physics news on Phys.org
MozAngeles said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Im thinking the solution is to take the cross product of B and C. and that would be the solution??

BxC would give satisfy the conditions yes, but you will need to get the unit vector of BxC.

So my answer would be 1/[tex]\sqrt{35}[/tex](5i+3k-j)?

Yes, assuming you calculated BxC correctly.

1. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1. It is typically used to represent a direction or orientation in space.

2. How do you find a unit vector orthogonal to vector A?

To find a unit vector orthogonal to vector A, you can use the cross product between vector A and any other vector. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to vector A and will have a magnitude of 1 when normalized.

3. What does it mean for a unit vector to be orthogonal to a plane?

A unit vector that is orthogonal to a plane means that it is perpendicular to every vector within that plane. This can also be thought of as being perpendicular to the normal vector of the plane.

4. Can you find a unit vector orthogonal to a plane defined by two vectors?

Yes, you can find a unit vector orthogonal to a plane defined by two vectors by taking the cross product of the two vectors. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to both of the original vectors and will have a magnitude of 1 when normalized.

5. How does finding a unit vector orthogonal to a plane relate to finding the normal vector of the plane?

Finding a unit vector orthogonal to a plane and finding the normal vector of the plane are essentially the same thing. The unit vector will be perpendicular to every vector within the plane, and therefore, will also be perpendicular to the normal vector of the plane.