Planning an Experiment: Excellent Thermal and Electrical Conductors

In summary: From that, you can work out what kind of material would be good for your project.In summary, excellent thermal conductors are also excellent electrical conductors. This is why diamond is a great example of an excellent thermal conductor, but a so-so electrical conductor. You could also look into beryllium oxide, which is a good insulator but has poor electrical conductivity.
Shordaay
i have to plan and design an experiment based on this outline: " excellent thermal conductors are also excellent electrical conductors"

could i get any ideas please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF! It is not the policy here to do students' homework for them, but we can certainly help you when you get stuck. Please start your research, and come back with a post of what you've learned and how you think you might do this experiment. We can reply with comments and suggestions.

You could show that the statement is not true, in general, by using diamond as an example : excellent thermal conductor (better than copper) and very, very poor electrical conductor (or rather very good insulator).

I guess salted water would fall under excellent electrical conductor but a so-so thermal conductor.

nasu said:
You could show that the statement is not true, in general, by using diamond as an example : excellent thermal conductor (better than copper) and very, very poor electrical conductor (or rather very good insulator).
Another is beryllium oxide. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryllium_oxide

256bits said:
I guess salted water would fall under excellent electrical conductor but a so-so thermal conductor.
It's rather so-so in both respects, if you compare with a metal.

Bob, beryllium copper is classified as a hazardous material. Not a good choice for a science project.

marcusl said:
Bob, beryllium copper is classified as a hazardous material. Not a good choice for a science project.
I attach a Material Safety Data Sheet for beryllium-copper (see http://www.csunitec.com/technical/MSDS/Cast%20Copper-Beryllium%202008.pdf ).

Environmental In solid form, beryllium-copper alloys are not detrimental to the
environment.

Waste treatment Scrap must not be melted or treated in such a way as to release
airborne dust or fog. Scrap material must only be melted in special
furnaces. Scrap material can be handed in at approved disposal sites.
Contact the local authorities in case of doubt.
Transport Transportation of the material in solid form(i.e. in original or scrap
form) is harmless. No EU safety warning is required

Beryllium-copper (up to ~ 3% Be) is a hard springy alloy of copper. We used to have a set of beryllium-copper tools- screwdrivers, pliers, crescent wrenches, for use around big magnets (cyclotrons) and liquid hydrogen targets, because Be-Cu tools are both non magnetic and non sparking. Do not sand or machine beryllium copper, which will produce toxic dust.

Beryllium oxide (http://www.americanberyllia.com/lit/Beryllium_Oxide_MSDS.pdf), used as a thermally conducting insulator, is harmful, and should not be handled with bare hands. Also true for bare metal, used for thermalizing neutrons and slowing down charged particles with minimum multiple scattering.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also talk about the mechanism for conduction. Liquids and gasses can conduct heat via convection; The liquid or gas is actually moving to carry the heat. You can't conduct electricity via convection.

AFAIK, Berillium is a dangerous substance to Machine (i.e. if you inhale the dust). You can find it all over the place in high power RF equipment.

Shordaay said:
i have to plan and design an experiment based on this outline: " excellent thermal conductors are also excellent electrical conductors"

could i get any ideas please?
Look up the physics law relating the ratio of the electronic contribution to the thermal conductivity (κ) and the electrical conductivity (σ).

1. What is the purpose of planning an experiment to test the thermal and electrical conductivity of materials?

The purpose of planning an experiment to test the thermal and electrical conductivity of materials is to determine how well a given material can conduct heat and electricity. This information is important in various fields, including engineering, materials science, and physics.

2. How do you choose the materials to be tested in an experiment on thermal and electrical conductivity?

The materials chosen for an experiment on thermal and electrical conductivity should be representative of the types of materials commonly used in the industry or field of study. They should also have a wide range of thermal and electrical conductivities to accurately compare and analyze the results.

3. What is the best method for measuring thermal and electrical conductivity in an experiment?

The best method for measuring thermal and electrical conductivity in an experiment will depend on the specific materials being tested and the equipment available. Some common methods include using a thermocouple or a four-point probe for thermal conductivity measurements, and a voltmeter or ammeter for electrical conductivity measurements.

4. How do you control variables in an experiment on thermal and electrical conductivity?

To obtain accurate and reliable results, it is important to control variables in an experiment on thermal and electrical conductivity. This can be done by keeping the experimental conditions, such as temperature and humidity, consistent throughout the experiment. It is also important to use the same measuring equipment and techniques for each material being tested.

5. What are some potential sources of error in an experiment on thermal and electrical conductivity?

There are several potential sources of error in an experiment on thermal and electrical conductivity, including variations in the materials themselves, inaccuracies in measurement equipment, and human error. It is important to carefully design the experiment and conduct multiple trials to minimize these sources of error and obtain reliable results.