Calculating <p>_c for Charge-Conjugated Dirac Spinor

• Thread starter qinglong.1397
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the expectation value of the momentum of the charge-conjugated Dirac spinor and the finding that it is the negative of the expectation value of the Dirac spinor. The calculation involves the charge conjugation operator, the spinor and its charge-conjugated spinor, and the use of integration by parts. The conversation also discusses potential mistakes in the calculation and the importance of using Lorentz covariant expressions. The summary concludes with the acknowledgement of the helpfulness of the conversation for discussing the topic with a teacher.
qinglong.1397
I calculated the expectation value of the momentum of the charge-conjugated Dirac spinor and found that it was the negative of that of the Dirac spinor. Here is the calculation.

Charge conjugation operator is chosen to be [itex]C=i\gamma^0\gamma^2[/itex]. The spinor is [itex]\Psi[/itex] and its charge-conjugated spinor [itex]\Psi_C=-i\gamma^2\Psi^*[/itex].

The expectation value of the momentum of [itex]\Psi_C=-i\gamma^2\Psi^*[/itex] is given by

[itex]<\vec p>_C=\int d^3x\bar\Psi_C\vec p\Psi_C=\int d^3x\Psi^T\gamma^0\gamma^2\vec p\gamma^2\Psi^*=-[\int d^3x\bar\Psi\vec p^*\Psi]^*[/itex]
[itex]=[\int d^3x\bar\Psi\vec p\Psi]^*=<\vec p>^*=<\vec p>[/itex]

where [itex]<\vec p>[/itex] is real.

Is there anything wrong with my calculation, because my teacher didn't give me the grade for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess my calculation is correct since nobody replies...

It's hard to tell from what you have written. Did you remember that p acts to the right, and when you switch it from acting on one ψ to the other, you have to integrate by parts?

Bill_K said:
It's hard to tell from what you have written. Did you remember that p acts to the right, and when you switch it from acting on one ψ to the other, you have to integrate by parts?

I did use integration by parts.

Last edited:
What does [itex]\Psi^{\ast}[/itex] represent?

Last edited:
I did use integration by parts.
I'm just thinking that jμ does change sign while pμ does not, and the only difference between them is the derivative operator.

Bill_K said:
I'm just thinking that jμ does change sign while pμ does not, and the only difference between them is the derivative operator.

By [itex]j_\mu[/itex], do you mean electric current?

Actually, I found out that [itex]<\vec r>_C=-<\vec r>[/itex] and my teacher also got this.

I think there is a mistake in your calculation. If [itex] {{\Psi }_{C}}=-i{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}} [/itex] then [itex] \Psi _{C}^{\dagger }=i{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{2}}^{\dagger }=-i{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{2}} [/itex] since [itex] {{\gamma }^{2}}^{\dagger }=-{{\gamma }^{2}}
[/itex]. Then:
[itex] \begin{align}
& {{\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle }_{C}}=\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}\Psi _{C}^{\dagger }\mathbf{p}{{\Psi }_{C}}}=\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}\left( -i{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{2}} \right)\mathbf{p}\left( -i{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}} \right)}=-\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{2}}\mathbf{p}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}}}= \\
& \quad \quad =-\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}{{\Psi }^{T}}\mathbf{p}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}}}=\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}{{\Psi }^{T}}\mathbf{p}{{\Psi }^{*}}} \\
\end{align} [/itex]
since [itex]{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\gamma }^{2}}=-{{I}_{4}}[/itex] . Continuing the calculation we get:

[itex]{{\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle }_{C}}=\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}{{\Psi }^{T}}\mathbf{p}{{\Psi }^{*}}}={{\left( \int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}{{\Psi }^{\dagger }}\mathbf{p}\Psi } \right)}^{*}}={{\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle }^{*}}=\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle[/itex]

since [itex]\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle[/itex] is real.

cosmic dust said:
I think there is a mistake in your calculation. If [itex] {{\Psi }_{C}}=-i{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}} [/itex] then [itex] \Psi _{C}^{\dagger }=i{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{2}}^{\dagger }=-i{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{2}} [/itex] since [itex] {{\gamma }^{2}}^{\dagger }=-{{\gamma }^{2}}
[/itex]. Then:
[itex] \begin{align}
& {{\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle }_{C}}=\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}\Psi _{C}^{\dagger }\mathbf{p}{{\Psi }_{C}}}=\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}\left( -i{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{2}} \right)\mathbf{p}\left( -i{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}} \right)}=-\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{2}}\mathbf{p}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}}}= \\
& \quad \quad =-\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}{{\Psi }^{T}}\mathbf{p}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}}}=\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}{{\Psi }^{T}}\mathbf{p}{{\Psi }^{*}}} \\
\end{align} [/itex]
since [itex]{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\gamma }^{2}}=-{{I}_{4}}[/itex] . Continuing the calculation we get:

[itex]{{\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle }_{C}}=\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}{{\Psi }^{T}}\mathbf{p}{{\Psi }^{*}}}={{\left( \int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}{{\Psi }^{\dagger }}\mathbf{p}\Psi } \right)}^{*}}={{\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle }^{*}}=\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle[/itex]

since [itex]\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle[/itex] is real.

Thanks for your reply! Although our results are the same, I still want to point out that you should've used [itex]\bar\Psi_C[/itex] instead of [itex]\Psi^\dagger_C[/itex], otherwise your [itex]<\vec p>_C[/itex] isn't Lorentz covariant.

Last edited:
Of course, my mistake... Let's take a look at this: [itex]\bar{\Psi } [/itex] is defined by [itex]\bar{\Psi }={{\Psi }^{\dagger }}{{\gamma }^{0}}[/itex] and so [itex]\overset{\_\_}{\mathop{\left( {{\Psi }_{C}} \right)}}\, [/itex] will be:
[itex]\overset{\_\_\_}{\mathop{\left( {{\Psi }_{C}} \right)}}\,={{\left( -i{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}} \right)}^{\dagger }}{{\gamma }^{0}}=-i{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\gamma }^{0}}=-i{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{0}}{{\gamma }^{0}}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\gamma }^{0}}=-i{{\left( {{\Psi }^{\dagger }}{{\gamma }^{0}} \right)}^{*}}{{\gamma }^{2}}^{\dagger }=-i{{\bar{\Psi }}^{*}}{{\gamma }^{2}}^{\dagger }[/itex]
Then the integrand of [itex]{{\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle }_{C}}[/itex] will be:

[itex]\overset{\_\_\_}{\mathop{\left( {{\Psi }_{C}} \right)}}\,\mathbf{p}{{\Psi }_{C}}=-{{\bar{\Psi }}^{*}}{{\gamma }^{2}}^{\dagger }\mathbf{p}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}}=-{{\bar{\Psi }}^{*}}\mathbf{p}{{\Psi }^{*}}=-{{\left( \bar{\Psi }{{\mathbf{p}}^{*}}\Psi \right)}^{*}}={{\left( \bar{\Psi }\mathbf{p}\Psi \right)}^{*}} [/itex]

and so we will get the same mean value. Is this OK ?

cosmic dust said:
Of course, my mistake... Let's take a look at this: [itex]\bar{\Psi } [/itex] is defined by [itex]\bar{\Psi }={{\Psi }^{\dagger }}{{\gamma }^{0}}[/itex] and so [itex]\overset{\_\_}{\mathop{\left( {{\Psi }_{C}} \right)}}\, [/itex] will be:
[itex]\overset{\_\_\_}{\mathop{\left( {{\Psi }_{C}} \right)}}\,={{\left( -i{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}} \right)}^{\dagger }}{{\gamma }^{0}}=-i{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\gamma }^{0}}=-i{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{0}}{{\gamma }^{0}}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\gamma }^{0}}=-i{{\left( {{\Psi }^{\dagger }}{{\gamma }^{0}} \right)}^{*}}{{\gamma }^{2}}^{\dagger }=-i{{\bar{\Psi }}^{*}}{{\gamma }^{2}}^{\dagger }[/itex]
Then the integrand of [itex]{{\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle }_{C}}[/itex] will be:

[itex]\overset{\_\_\_}{\mathop{\left( {{\Psi }_{C}} \right)}}\,\mathbf{p}{{\Psi }_{C}}=-{{\bar{\Psi }}^{*}}{{\gamma }^{2}}^{\dagger }\mathbf{p}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}}=-{{\bar{\Psi }}^{*}}\mathbf{p}{{\Psi }^{*}}=-{{\left( \bar{\Psi }{{\mathbf{p}}^{*}}\Psi \right)}^{*}}={{\left( \bar{\Psi }\mathbf{p}\Psi \right)}^{*}} [/itex]

and so we will get the same mean value. Is this OK ?

Good! I can now discuss it with my teacher. Thanks!

What is

_c for Charge-Conjugated Dirac Spinor?

_c for Charge-Conjugated Dirac Spinor is a mathematical term used to describe the charge conjugation operator in the Dirac equation. It is represented by the symbol

_c and is a key component in understanding the behavior of particles with spin in quantum mechanics.

How is

_c for Charge-Conjugated Dirac Spinor calculated?

Calculating

_c for Charge-Conjugated Dirac Spinor involves applying the charge conjugation operator to the Dirac spinor, which is a mathematical object that describes the spin and momentum of a particle. This calculation can be complex and is often done using advanced mathematical techniques.

What is the significance of

_c for Charge-Conjugated Dirac Spinor in physics?

The concept of

_c for Charge-Conjugated Dirac Spinor is crucial in understanding the symmetries and properties of particles with spin in quantum mechanics. It is used in various mathematical equations and formulations to describe the behavior and interactions of these particles, and is an important tool in theoretical physics.

Are there any practical applications of

While the concept of

_c for Charge-Conjugated Dirac Spinor is primarily used in theoretical physics, it also has practical applications in fields such as particle physics and quantum computing. Understanding

_c for Charge-Conjugated Dirac Spinor allows scientists to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of particles in these fields, which can then be tested through experiments.

Are there any other operators similar to

Yes, there are other operators that are similar to

_c for Charge-Conjugated Dirac Spinor, such as the parity operator and the time reversal operator. These operators, along with

_c for Charge-Conjugated Dirac Spinor, are known as the discrete symmetries and play a fundamental role in understanding the properties of particles in quantum mechanics.