Dielectric Sphere in Time Varying Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of a dielectric sphere on a spatially uniform time varying field. The topic is suggested to be researched through Mie scattering and Rayleigh scattering. The question is raised about the frequency of the resultant field when a dielectric is placed in the original field, and the response is that it will have the same frequency assuming a linear response of the dielectric.
Apteronotus
Hi,

I'm interested in how a dielectric sphere effects a (spatially) uniform time varying field.

I'm sure I'm not the first to inquire about this very topic. Could anyone direct me to a resource?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Try searching on Mie scattering and Rayleigh scattering.

Thanks Marcusl.
Unfortunately I didn't find what I was looking for. any other ideas?

Changing E-field and Dielectrics

Hi,

If I have a spatially uniform field whose magnitude is changing in time (say [itex]\vec{E}=E_o\sin(\omega t)\vec{k}[/itex])
and I place a dielectric in this field, will the perturbation of the field have the same frequency?
That is, will the resultant field have a frequency [itex]\omega[/itex]?

Yes, assuming that the dielectric has a linear response. This is usually a good assumption unless the field strength is very high (for example, certain crystals are used to double or triple the frequency of intense laser light).

1. What is a dielectric sphere?

A dielectric sphere is a spherical object made of a material that is a poor conductor of electricity. This material, also known as a dielectric, is commonly used in electronics to insulate and protect wires and components from the flow of electrical current.

2. How does a dielectric sphere react to a time varying field?

When a dielectric sphere is placed in a time varying field, it experiences a phenomenon known as polarization. This means that the atoms within the dielectric material become aligned in a way that creates an electric dipole moment, causing the sphere to become electrically charged and interact with the field.

3. What factors affect the polarization of a dielectric sphere in a time varying field?

The polarization of a dielectric sphere is influenced by several factors, including the strength and frequency of the time varying field, the dielectric constant of the material, and the size and shape of the sphere.

4. What is the significance of studying the behavior of a dielectric sphere in a time varying field?

Understanding how a dielectric sphere behaves in a time varying field is important in the design and operation of electronic devices. It can also provide insights into the behavior of other materials and systems in similar conditions.

5. What are some applications of a dielectric sphere in a time varying field?

A dielectric sphere in a time varying field has various practical applications, including in capacitors, antennas, and other electronic components. It is also used in research and experimental studies in fields such as electromagnetics and material science.