Maximize Points in n-D Space with Distance Threshold

• Thread starter EvoG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of finding the maximum number of points that can be placed in a finite n-dimensional space with each dimension constrained to [0,1], where no two points are closer than a threshold t. The example given is for n = 2 and t = 1, where p = 4. The speaker states that for n = 2 and t = 1.4, p = 2. They also mention that their n will be large (>10000) and t will be greater than 1, and that an approximation within a factor of 2 would be sufficient. The speaker suspects that this problem may be reducible to the sphere packing problem, but it has only been solved up
EvoG
I have a problem and I'm not sure if it has been formulated and/or solved before.

Suppose you have a finite n-dimensional space in which each dimension is constrained to [0,1]. I need the maximum number of points p that can be put in this space such that no two points are closer than some threshold t.

For instance, if n = 2 and t = 1, then p = 4. Think of the corners of a square with sides of length 1.
If n = 2 and t = 1.4, then p = 2, since opposite corners of a square with sides of length 1 are > 1.4 distance apart.

In general, my n is going to be large (>10000) and my t will certainly be greater than 1. I don't need a perfect formula. An approximation that gets me to within a factor of about 2 of the actual solution would be good enough.

I suspect this problem may be reducible to the sphere packing problem which has only been solved for up to 8 dimensions, but I thought I'd check with the experts to see.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It does look like a sphere packing problem with radius = t/2.

mathman said:
It does look like a sphere packing problem with radius = t/2.
Except for at the corners and edges of the enclosing "box".

But since the "t" is minimum possible distance, the corners not really relevant. Using spheres of radius t/2 should give the same result as using cubes with side length t.

HallsofIvy said:
But since the "t" is minimum possible distance, the corners not really relevant. Using spheres of radius t/2 should give the same result as using cubes with side length t.

I don't think so. Using cubes will fill up the box neatly. Spheres will pack more tightly.

1. What is the purpose of maximizing points in n-D space with distance threshold?

The purpose of maximizing points in n-D space with distance threshold is to find the optimal placement of points in a multi-dimensional space, within a given distance threshold. This can be useful in various fields such as computer graphics, data science, and physics.

2. How is n-D space defined in this context?

n-D space refers to a multi-dimensional space with n number of dimensions. In this context, n-D space can represent any space with more than 3 dimensions, as the term "n" is used to indicate any number of dimensions.

3. What is a distance threshold and why is it important?

A distance threshold is a maximum distance that is set as a limit for the placement of points in n-D space. It is important because it allows for the optimization of point placement within a specific range, which can be useful in various applications.

4. How does this problem relate to real-world scenarios?

This problem can be applied to real-world scenarios such as optimizing the placement of cell phone towers to provide maximum coverage within a specific distance, or finding the most efficient route for delivery trucks to minimize travel distance.

5. What are some common strategies for maximizing points in n-D space with distance threshold?

Some common strategies for maximizing points in n-D space with distance threshold include using algorithms such as greedy algorithms, simulated annealing, or genetic algorithms. These strategies involve iteratively optimizing the placement of points based on the given distance threshold.