Register to reply

Laplace analysis of simple LC tank (no resistance)

by jrive
Tags: laplace, lc ckt, tank
Share this thread:
jrive
Jul16-14, 10:49 AM
P: 40
I am stumped by an exercise in using Laplace transforms to analyze the voltage and current in simple LC tank. My issue is with the correct sign of the voltage across the capacitor ...let me pose the problem.

A circuit consists of a voltage source V, 2 switches, a cap C and an inductor L. The switch from the source to the cap has been on for a long time (cap is fully charged), while the switch connecting the cap to the inductor is open. Then at time t(0+), the switches toggle, and the voltage source is disconnected and the cap is now connected to the inductor.

v(0-)=V,
il(0-)=0,

The laplace circuit models are:
Cap:
i(t)=Cdv(t)/dt
I(s)=CsV(s)-Cv(0-)
V(s)=I(s)/sC+ v(0-)/S

Ind.
v(t)=Ldi(t)/dt
V(s)=LsI(s)-Li(0-)
I(s)=V(s)/sL+i(0-)/s

So....I can get the answer for the current fairly easily...Since the current into the cap is defined as positive when the switch from the source to the cap is on , then when the current flows from the cap to the inductor at t(0+), it is negative, or -Ic. So,
-Ic=IL

Cv(0-)-CsV(s)=V(s)/sL
solving for V(s),
V(s)=Cv(0-)sL/(s^2LC+1)
invLaplace(V(s))=V cos[t/sqrt(LC)] --> this is fine....

my problem is when I try to solve for the voltage directly...(keep in mind that if I obtain voltage by using this current across the cap or inductor, I do get the correct answer, but not when I try to do it directly), I have a sign problem that I can't figure out....

Since the voltage across the cap = the voltage across the inductor at time t(0+), then
I(s)/sC+v(0-)/s=LsI(s) (i(0-)==0)

this is the problem....the sign is incorrect, and this will lead to a transfer function where I have s^2LC - 1 in the denominator, and not s^2LC + 1 to get an oscillatory response. What am I missing here?

The cap model during the charging phase is as shown in figure in file cap_t(0-).bmp....and for the math to work, I need to change it to the model in figure cap_t(0+).bmp at t(0+). I just can't convince myself as to why....
Attached Images
File Type: bmp lc_tank.bmp (277.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: bmp cap_t(0-).bmp (341.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: bmp cap_t(0+).bmp (329.7 KB, 7 views)
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lawsuits challenge US drone, model aircraft rules
CU-Boulder leads international unmanned aircraft testing event at Pawnee Grassland
Gesture-controlled, autonomous vehicles may be valuable helpers in logistics and trans-shipment centers
NascentOxygen
Jul16-14, 10:51 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,266
Quote Quote by jrive View Post
Since the voltage across the cap = the voltage across the inductor at time t(0+), then
I(s)/sC+v(0-)/s=LsI(s) (i(0-)==0)

this is the problem....the sign is incorrect
Hi. You're a bit long-winded, but I think I get the gist of your angst.

You say the sign is wrong, and I agree that it's wrong....so fix it!

Have you drawn the circuit of a capacitor parallel with an inductor? And marked in the current? And written the voltage across each element in terms of that current direction you drew?

Try it again.
jrive
Jul17-14, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the response (and the criticism)....

NascentOxygen
Jul17-14, 05:11 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,266
Laplace analysis of simple LC tank (no resistance)

Quote Quote by jrive View Post
Thanks for the response ....
So you discovered what you'd been doing wrong?
jrive
Jul22-14, 08:42 AM
Yep....stupid mistake!!

Register to reply