Compare 4 Stroke & Otto Cycle in Thermo - 300 Level

• Thread starter billybob70
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Otto
In summary, the paper prompt is asking for a comparison between the 4 stroke engine and the Otto cycle, which are not exactly the same thing. The 4 stroke engine follows the four processes of intake, compression, power, and exhaust, while the Otto cycle includes additional processes and is an ideal air standard type cycle. The key difference is that the Otto cycle is a theoretical concept, whereas the 4 stroke engine is a real life application. The paper should also consider other types of cycles, such as the two-stroke and Diesel cycles, and how they relate to the Otto cycle. Additionally, the question itself may be confusing and may need to be clarified or rephrased.
billybob70
This is for a 300 level thermodynamics class. I am supposed to write a short paper comparing the 4 stroke engine to the otto cycle.

I thought these were the same thing though?
For my paper, i wrote what the 4 stroke are: intake, compression, power, exhaust...and described each one.

Then i listed the 4 processes of the otto cycle:
Process 1-2 is the Compression stroke.
Process 2-3 is the firing of the spark plug.
Process 3-4 is the Power stroke
Process 4-1 is the Exhaust stroke and the Intake stroke

Then I wrote a paragraph explaining why the ideal otto cycle doesn't exist in the real world because of heat transfer and friction.

Does this sound right or am i missing something big?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, you're half-right.

Firstly, remember that the Otto cycle is an ideal air standard type cycle, and that applying it to a real cycle is an approximation.

Secondly, remember that the four-stroke cycle is not the only one used in real life applications. Did you remember about the two-stroke cycle, which can also be modeled by the Otto cycle? And did you remember the Diesel cycle, which can also be a four-stroke?

You must consider the fact that the discrete processes you summarised aren't quite like that in real life, and because things like ignition and combustion happen over time, and nothing really occurs at constant pressure or volume, that describing the Otto cycle does not in any way actually compare it to an actual 4-stroke cycle.

The key point you've missed is that Otto/Diesel and Two/Four Stroke are not mutually exclusive terms, and that Otto and Diesel are air standard cycles and that real life isn't like the textbook.

The question to be answered in the paper is confusing. I dislike these school type questions. They want you to be aware of some riddle to be answered, but at times the teacher doesn't understand how confusing the actual question statement is. Perhaps you could ask the teacher to rephrase the question without giving you any answer. The question is like asking you to compare a car to a Corvette. It's not a reasonable type question because the Corvette is a car too, and a car can be a Corvette. Do you compare the Corvette to all cars, or some cars, and really what is the question. If the question was what makes the Corvette different than most cars, the question would make more sense.

Brewnog is right that the 4 cycle and Otto cycle are slightly different in scope. The definition really of an Otto cycle is a spark ignition 4 cycle engine, because there are other 4 cycle engines such as the compression ignition diesel. It appears the Otto cycle can be either throttled, or hit and miss, or direct injection stratified charge.

In that way you might rephrase the question yourself to mean what makes the Otto cycle different than 4 strokes in general. Or you could talk about what makes the theoretical Otto cycle different than actual Otto engines.

What is the difference between a 4-stroke engine and an Otto cycle?

A 4-stroke engine is a type of internal combustion engine that uses four distinct processes (intake, compression, power, and exhaust) to convert fuel into energy. The Otto cycle is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that describes the processes of a gasoline engine. In essence, a 4-stroke engine is a physical implementation of the Otto cycle.

How do the thermodynamic processes differ between a 4-stroke engine and an Otto cycle?

The main difference between the two is that a 4-stroke engine has an additional process (intake) compared to the Otto cycle. In the intake process, the engine draws in air and fuel before compression, whereas in the Otto cycle, this process is combined with the compression process.

Which type of engine is more efficient: 4-stroke or Otto cycle?

It is difficult to say which type of engine is more efficient as it depends on various factors such as design, size, and operating conditions. Generally, 4-stroke engines tend to be more efficient because they have a separate intake process, which allows for better control of air-fuel mixture and better combustion.

What are the main advantages of using a 4-stroke engine over an Otto cycle engine?

One of the main advantages of a 4-stroke engine is its higher efficiency. It also tends to have lower emissions and better fuel economy. Additionally, the separate intake process allows for smoother and more controlled power delivery. However, 4-stroke engines are typically more complex and expensive to manufacture.

What are the potential disadvantages of using a 4-stroke engine compared to an Otto cycle engine?

The main disadvantage of a 4-stroke engine is its complexity and cost. It also tends to be larger and heavier, making it less suitable for applications where space is limited. In some cases, the additional process of intake can also result in reduced power output. However, these disadvantages can be mitigated with proper design and engineering.