Excite Rotational & Vibrational Energies Simultaneously

• Thread starter photon79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energies
In summary, lasers are commonly used in spectroscopy for high intensity and precision, while Raman and Brillouin spectroscopy are used more often in analytical chemistry labs.
photon79
Rotational energies are in microwave region and vibrational are in infrered region, then how can the both be excited symultaneously? To excite vibrations we need infrared radiation then how can rotations be excited which are in microwave region?

Physics news on Phys.org
The excitation source is rarely a laser. It produces a spread of wavelengths peaked at the desired (selected) wavelength.

thanks gokul, you mean to say its because of incapability of the source that cannot produce exact wavelength? (if i got your point!)

Or is it true that rotational levels can easily be excited bacause this involves just the change in orientation of the molecular dipole (torque produced by electric field can rotate the molecule), unlike configurational change in vibration or charge distributional change in electronic excitations?
Hence no matter what radiation is there rotations are excited(as torque is a macroscopic property!),,,,,, (donno how far itis true!)

Last edited:
In a gas at room temperature, molecules will be in many states with different rotational states with rotational angelar momentum larger than zero.

Now, if they absorb an IR-photon, the moment of inertia will change. Angular momentum is conserved, så the rotational frequency must change.

That is as far as my understand goes. I do not quite remember the details of the p- and the q-branches (or the Q- and the R-branches), and I will leave that for you to look up.

Just as an analogy that I am more familiar with: in electronic optical or x-ray transitions, also molecular vibrations are excited, with intensities given by Frank-Condon factors.

Rotational and Vibrational states are usually excited simultaneously, which is why the term rovibrational pops up frequently in IR spectroscopy. In fact, in many molecules, selection rules require that a jump in vibrational energy be accompanied by a jump (or drop) in rotational energy (This is where P and R branches come from).

To Gokul; Lasers frequenctly used in Raman spectroscopy where high intensities are required, and high precision spectroscopy where small linewidths are required. In fact, the Nobel prize for physics was shared in 2005 by two men who pioneered the Optical frequency comb technique (which uses femtosecond-pulse lasers). Add that to the emergence of broadband coherent sources via supercontinuum generation and tunable coherent sources, and I think you'll find lasers are rather prevalent in spectroscopy :biggrin: .

Claude.

The lab next door to mine is a laser spectroscopy lab ! :biggrin: While I've seen a bunch of laser spectroscopy (particularly Raman & Brillouin) studying the solid state, I've seen them much less often used in analytical chemistry labs.

1. What is Excite Rotational & Vibrational Energies Simultaneously?

Excite Rotational & Vibrational Energies Simultaneously is a simulation model used in chemistry to study the simultaneous rotation and vibration of molecules. It calculates the energy levels and transitions between these two types of molecular motion.

2. How does Excite Rotational & Vibrational Energies Simultaneously work?

This simulation model uses quantum mechanics principles and equations to calculate the energy levels and transitions of molecules. It takes into account the rotational and vibrational motion of the molecules and calculates the energy associated with each type of motion.

3. What is the significance of studying rotational and vibrational energies simultaneously?

Studying rotational and vibrational energies simultaneously allows for a more accurate understanding of the behavior of molecules. It helps in predicting the physical properties and chemical reactions of molecules, which is crucial in various fields such as material science, pharmaceuticals, and atmospheric chemistry.

4. Can Excite Rotational & Vibrational Energies Simultaneously be used for any type of molecule?

Yes, this simulation model can be used for any type of molecule as long as the molecular structure and energy levels are known. However, it is more commonly used for diatomic molecules (molecules with two atoms) as they have simpler energy levels and transitions.

5. How is Excite Rotational & Vibrational Energies Simultaneously different from other simulation models?

Excite Rotational & Vibrational Energies Simultaneously is specifically designed to calculate the energy levels and transitions of molecules with both rotational and vibrational motion. Other simulation models may focus on either rotational or vibrational motion separately, or may include other types of molecular motion such as electronic transitions.