Understanding Nichrome Resistivity: Exploring Resistance in a Physics Lab

In summary, a lab in physics was conducted to measure the resistance of nichrome at different length intervals using a multimeter and calipers. When plotting the points and drawing a line of best fit, it was observed that the line did not go through the origin. The reason for this is due to the method of measurement, where the resistance from one probe to the other probe is not zero. This was a common issue encountered by students, and it was suggested to consider the resistance without any nichrome present to get a better understanding of the issue.
ilovephysics
im doing a lab in physics where we measure the resistance of nichrome at different length intervals, when we plot the points and draw a line of best fit the line does NOT go through the origin, we are supposed to explain why but i have no idea why that is. can anyone help? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
2, 3, or 4 wire measurement?

umm i don't know we were not told anything about wire measurement..we did however calculate the resistivity, but its in my lab book which we are not allowed to take out of the lab.. the slope of my resistance vs length graph was 0.007 ohm/cm i think but i don't remember the cross sectional area to compute the resisitivity, can u still help me on the problem without it?

That was a hint for you to think about the method of measurement. I misjudged the level of the lab. My bad.

How did you go about measuring the resistances? We should be able to work from that if you can recall the steps you went through for determining length and resistance for each point.

Think what you're actually measuring the resistance of. I remember doing this lab, back in the day!

we used a multimeter and a set of calipers to measure length...so we would put the red at our 0 and 10cm away we put our black and read the resistance, and then we would go 10cm further and take the reading of that

brewnog: arent we measuring the resistance of the metal nichrome for the given length?

I hate to bump an old thread, but my students ran into the same question (and found this thread while trying to figure it out.) Since it's a common lab, I wanted to add in one thing that was somewhat suggested by Bystander: with your multimeter, did you attempt to measure the resistance with no nichrome at all? i.e. the resistance from one probe to the other probe? Is it zero? (On the particular brand that I use in the classroom, it is not zero; ours start with a resistance of around 0.7 ohms, which I assume is due to the wire in the probes, oxidation on the surfaces where the probes connect, etc.)

What is resistivity?

Resistivity is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electric current. It is represented by the Greek letter rho (ρ) and is measured in Ohm-meters (Ω·m).

What is nichrome?

Nichrome is a type of resistance wire made from an alloy of nickel and chromium. It is commonly used in heating elements due to its high melting point, corrosion resistance, and stable electrical properties.

How is the resistivity of nichrome calculated?

The resistivity of nichrome can be calculated by dividing the resistance of a given length of wire by its cross-sectional area. It can also be calculated using the formula ρ = RA/l, where R is the resistance, A is the cross-sectional area, and l is the length of the wire.

What factors affect the resistivity of nichrome?

The resistivity of nichrome can be affected by the temperature, composition, and impurities present in the wire. It can also be influenced by the thickness and length of the wire.

What are some practical applications of the resistivity of nichrome?

Nichrome's high resistivity makes it useful for applications such as heating elements in appliances, electrical heating coils, and thermocouples. It is also used in the production of resistance wires and electrical components.