Is Physics Failsafe? | Exploring the Laws of Gravity

In summary, science is based on models which can be proven or disproven, law is a certainty, and theory is a guess with varying degrees of certainty.
Yahya
Hello, I wish to start this, my first post, by saying that I am NOT trying to upset anyone, nor are my questions hoaxes.

I'm no physicist either, I used to take physics in high school, but since then, I have not pursued it further.

My question is this... Is physics failsafe? Are its laws always constant?

Allow me to use gravity as an example. According to my high school books on the subject, gravity is based upon the attraction force between two objects. It is directly related to density (With greater densities exerting a greater gravitational force). But is that an absolute? If one were to put gravity to the test using the same object, well, let's go for Newton's apple. Had the situation been repeated over and over again, could there ever be a possibility that the apple would not fall?

I know it sounds crazy, I'll admit, I was hesitate to post it for fear of being ridiculed, but well, from my understanding of science, it's very hard to have absolutes.

Again, sorry if this came out as a hoax or something, I'm just looking for some proof. Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing in science is truly an absolute. Sure, we can do an experiment ten million times and get the same result every time -- but that doesn't mean we wouldn't get a different answer if we did it just one more time.

Science is based on models, which are "made up" machinations that can be used to predict the results of experiments. When such a machine accurately predicts the results of every experiment ever done, we regard the machine as having value, and perhpas even being 'correct.' It is entirely possible, even likely, that some later experiment will come along (perhaps with advancing technology) that will show flaws or gaps in existing models.

This vulnerability doesn't mean scientific models are irrelevant junk; they obviously still have great power. Many of the inventions which have improved human quality of life were created with the guidance of scientific models which were later shown to be incomplete.

Science is an iterative process, something akin to trial-and-error on a grand scale. It's always becoming more refinded; sometimes in leaps and bounds, and sometimes through slow, steady progress.

- Warren

Thank you for your answer.

Anytime, Yahya. Welcome to PF. :smile:

Don't feel intimidated by the "serious" nature of the site. Feel free to ask anything you'd like to ask.

- Warren

chroot said it very nicely :)

Wait, isn't it false to say that gravity is directly related to density? It's directly dependant on mass...

Yes your right gravity has never been related to density past or present, but the validity of that statement had little to do with the question being asked. chroot did a fine job there.

That is actually a very good question, David Hume asked himself much the same thing. The scientific meathod is a purely inductive process and as such, there is no proof, just probability.

There's a lot of confusion among lay people about scientific terminology such as law and theory. A responsible scientist will always concede that nothing is absolute. However, when a physicist says something is a law, the average person can pretty much assume it is a certainty.

You see this often when lay people dismiss global warming out of hand because it's "only a theory." Generally speaking, a theory means "our best explanation based on the what we know." That can range anywhere from "our wild guess" to "we're nearly 100% positive." The vast majority of journalists simply cannot grasp this concept, so there is a lot of confusion. Scientists must always leave things open-ended because the continued pursuit of knowledge is the simplest explanation of what a scientist does (and it makes for better job security that way).

Is Physics Failsafe? | Exploring the Laws of Gravity

As a scientist, I often get asked questions about the reliability and accuracy of physics, particularly when it comes to the laws of gravity. Here are the top five most frequently asked questions about physics being failsafe:

1. Is physics always true?

While the laws of physics have been proven to be incredibly accurate and reliable, they are not necessarily always true. As our understanding of the universe evolves, so too does our understanding of the laws that govern it. Therefore, it is important to remember that our current understanding of physics may not always be complete or entirely accurate.

2. Can the laws of physics ever change?

As mentioned before, our understanding of the universe is constantly evolving. This means that the laws of physics, which are based on our current understanding, may also change as we learn more. However, this does not mean that the laws themselves are inherently flawed or incorrect. They are simply being refined and improved upon as we gather more data and knowledge.

3. Are there any exceptions to the laws of physics?

There are certainly instances where the laws of physics may not seem to apply, such as in extreme conditions like black holes or the very early universe. However, these exceptions actually help us to better understand and refine the laws of physics. In general, the laws of physics apply to all known phenomena in the universe.

4. Can the laws of gravity ever fail?

The laws of gravity have been extensively tested and have consistently proven to be accurate. However, there are certain scenarios, such as at the quantum level or in the presence of extreme gravitational forces, where the laws of gravity may break down. While this may seem like a failure, it actually helps us to better understand the limits and boundaries of the laws of gravity.

5. Is there a possibility that the laws of physics are wrong?

As scientists, we are always open to the possibility that our current understanding of the laws of physics may be incorrect. However, it is important to note that the laws of physics have been tested and confirmed by countless experiments and observations. Any new theories or ideas must be supported by evidence and experimentation in order to be considered valid.