Browser attack - similar to D.O.S.

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a recent browser attack that occurred on both a laptop and a home PC. The use of Internet Explorer in the office is questioned due to its vulnerability to security problems. The speaker used taskmanager to stop the attack and ran security software. If taskmanager did not work, the next step was to disconnect from the internet. The speaker is still investigating the situation and recalls having to adjust browser settings on their home desktop for protection. Despite having security software installed, the new laptop may still be at risk.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
I had browser attack launched against my laptop last night and repeated attempts on a home PC. Good reason not to have IE, but that's what the office uses - also other browser may be subject to these security problems anyway.

I used taskmanager to kill IE - and then ran security software.

If IE could not be stopped in taskmanager, the next step was to disconnect from internet by "ipconfig /release" in a DOS window, or a quicker way, simply pull the cable.

I am still diagnosing the situation.

I seem to remember having to change some browser settings on my home desktop in order to protect against such an attack. The laptop is new, so it may not be fully protected, despite the fact that it is supposed to have the appropriate security installed and activated.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Why do you suspect a browser attack?

I'm sorry to hear that you experienced a browser attack on your laptop and home PC. It's definitely a frustrating and concerning situation. You are right in saying that using a different browser may not necessarily protect you from these types of attacks, as all browsers have their own vulnerabilities. It's important to always keep your security software up to date and to regularly run scans to detect and prevent any potential threats.

It's good that you were able to use task manager to kill the browser and then run security software. Disconnecting from the internet is also a smart move if the browser cannot be stopped through task manager. It's always better to err on the side of caution and take quick action to protect your devices.

It's also worth noting that changing browser settings can help improve security, but it's not a foolproof solution. It's important to stay vigilant and be cautious when browsing the internet. Avoid clicking on suspicious links or downloading unknown files, and always be aware of the potential risks when using the internet.

I hope you are able to fully diagnose and resolve the situation with your devices. It's unfortunate that these types of attacks can happen, but by staying informed and taking proactive measures, we can better protect ourselves and our devices from potential threats. Stay safe!

What is a browser attack similar to D.O.S.?

A browser attack similar to D.O.S. (Denial of Service) is a type of cyber attack that targets a web browser, making it inaccessible to legitimate users by overwhelming it with a large number of requests or malicious traffic.

How does a browser attack similar to D.O.S. work?

A browser attack similar to D.O.S. works by exploiting vulnerabilities in a web browser, such as memory leaks or buffer overflows, to overload the browser with a high volume of requests. This can lead to a crash or slow down the browser's performance, making it difficult for users to access the website or web application.

What are the consequences of a browser attack similar to D.O.S.?

The consequences of a browser attack similar to D.O.S. can vary, but they can include website downtime, loss of revenue for businesses, and damage to a company's reputation. It can also cause inconvenience for users who are unable to access a website or web application during the attack.

How can a browser attack similar to D.O.S. be prevented?

To prevent a browser attack similar to D.O.S., it is important for website owners to regularly update their web browsers and use secure coding practices to prevent vulnerabilities. Additionally, implementing security measures such as firewalls and intrusion detection systems can help detect and mitigate attacks.

What should I do if I am a victim of a browser attack similar to D.O.S.?

If you are a victim of a browser attack similar to D.O.S., it is important to report the attack to the appropriate authorities and seek assistance from a cybersecurity professional. Additionally, you can try to mitigate the attack by using a different web browser or accessing the website from a different network.