How does a wave move along a rope?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a wave moving to the right and determining the position of point P. The group discusses whether each point on the wave maintains its position in the positive x direction or only the y component changes. There is confusion about whether point P is a physical point on the rope or an imaginary point on the wave. Ultimately, the group determines that point P is a physical point and the answer is choice C. They also discuss how the spot of paint would move in relation to the wave.
Dunkaroos
Please help. I'm having difficulty with this problem. My book offers an answer but no explanation. Thanks for helping.I have the answer if you guys want it.

Attachments

• physics7la.jpg
    physics7la.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the wave is moving to the right. Hence, translate the whole curve slightly to the right to determine where point P will eventually be.

Yes, but doesn't each point on the wave maintain it's position in the positive x direction? It's only the y component of each point which changes. Anyone else have any idea?

kudos213 said:
Yes, but doesn't each point on the wave maintain it's position in the positive x direction? It's only the y component of each point which changes. Anyone else have any idea?

Yes, the point P oscillates only in the y direction, so as the wave moves to the right, will point P move up or down?

~H

negative y hat

kudos213 said:
negative y hat

Yes, I suggest we let the OP finish of the question.

~H

word...i'm still new here i.e. learning the ropes. how could we mathematically solved this question?

kudos213 said:
word...i'm still new here i.e. learning the ropes. how could we mathematically solved this question?

You couldn't, there is no data given (velocity/ displacement / time).

~H

This question actually somewhat ambiguous, and as such the OP might get the wrong advice and answer.

Depending on how you interpret "point P", your answer will be different!
a] Point P is a physical point on the rope.
b] Point P is an imaginary point on the wave.

Pizzasky interpreted it as a], but others interpreted it as b].

I'm am 99.9% certain a] is correct. So, yes, follow Kudos and Hoot's guidance.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
This question actually somewhat ambiguous, and as such the OP might get the wrong advice and answer.

Depending on how you interpret "point P", your answer will be different!
a] Point P is a physical point on the rope.
b] Point P is an imaginary point on the wave.

Pizzasky interpreted it as a], but others interpreted it as b].

I'm am 99.9% certain a] is correct. So, yes, follow Kudos and Hoot's guidance.

The OP said they have the correct answer, it would be helpful if he/she could post it to clear the matter up. But I agree with Dave, it is an ambiguous question, I was assuming point P is a physical point on the wave.

~H

if the wave is going to the right, then shouldn't the answer be c?
maybe I am missing something

skywolf said:
if the wave is going to the right, then shouldn't the answer be c?
maybe I am missing something

That is what we were discussing, I'll refer you to posts #4,5,6,7

~H

The answer key gives choice C.

Anyone care to explain? Thank you all. :wink:

OK. That clears up what they're asking. Point P is a physical point on the rope. Pretend it's a spot of paint.

Now, as the wave travels down the rope, how will that spot of paint move?

Think of this: the rope is tied off the right side to a lamppost. Your friend is off to the left, holding the rope, waving it up and down, creating the wave. (Note that the rope does not actually go anywhere - he can wave all he wants, but the rope will remain in our field of vision).

NOW what will the spot of paint do?

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between classical and modern physics?

Classical physics is the study of motion and forces on a macroscopic scale, while modern physics deals with the behavior of matter and energy on a microscopic scale. Classical physics is based on Newton's laws of motion and can explain the behavior of objects in everyday life, while modern physics uses quantum mechanics and relativity to explain the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. What is the role of mathematics in high school physics?

Mathematics is essential in high school physics as it provides a language and framework for understanding and describing physical phenomena. It allows us to make precise measurements, create models and equations, and make predictions about the behavior of objects and systems.

3. How does high school physics relate to real-life applications?

High school physics is directly applicable to real-life situations, such as understanding the motion of objects, the behavior of electricity and magnetism, and the principles of energy and momentum. It also provides a foundation for more advanced fields of study, such as engineering, medicine, and astronomy.

4. What are the main topics covered in a high school physics course?

A typical high school physics course covers topics such as motion, forces, energy, waves, electricity and magnetism, and atomic and nuclear physics. Some courses may also include topics in thermodynamics, optics, and relativity.

5. How can I prepare for a high school physics class?

To prepare for a high school physics class, it is helpful to have a strong foundation in algebra and geometry. Understanding basic concepts such as distance, time, and velocity will also be beneficial. It can also be helpful to review scientific notation, units of measurement, and basic trigonometry. Additionally, having a curious and open mindset and being willing to ask questions and engage in hands-on experiments can make for a successful experience in a high school physics class.