Solving Hard Disk Problem with Dell GX620

• Thread starter sid_galt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk Hard
In summary, there is a significant difference between the total size of folders and the used space on the disk reported by the computer. This is due to the wasted space in the final cluster of each file. To see the actual file sizes and space used on disk, you can select all the folders and check their properties or right click on individual files/folders.
sid_galt
I have four partitions, two of Windows and two of Linux. The Windows partitions have sizes 129 GB - C drive and 4 GB - W drive.

When I check the amount of used space on C drive directly by right clicking on the C drive icon and then clicking properties, I get 55.1 GB used space and 74.1 GB free space.

However when I select all the folders in C drive and then calculate their size, it comes out to be only 43.4 GB - a difference of nearly 12GB. The paging file size is only 1.5-3GB so that cannot account for this.

Otherwise the computer is working absolutely fine and giving no problem at all.

My computer is Dell GX620, Intel Processor 640 3.2GHz, 1 GB ram, 160GB SATA Seagate harddrive, Windows XP Professional SP2 and Suse Linux 10.

What could be the cause of such a huge difference between the total size of folders and the used space on the disk reported by the computer?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It's the wasted space in the final cluster of each file. Open up a my computer window, then double click on one of your partitions. Click on edit, select all, then right click on any of the highlighted icons, and then click on properties. This will show the actual file sizes and the space used on disk for these files. You can also just right click on a file or folder and click on properties to see the same stats.

Oh! Thanks for the help

1. How can I troubleshoot a hard disk problem on my Dell GX620?

First, try running the built-in diagnostics tool on your Dell GX620. This can help identify any hardware issues with the hard disk. You can also try checking the hard drive connections and cables to ensure they are securely connected. If the problem persists, it may be necessary to replace the hard drive.

2. What should I do if my Dell GX620 is not detecting the hard drive?

If your Dell GX620 is not detecting the hard drive, try checking the BIOS settings. Make sure the hard drive is enabled and set as the primary boot device. If the hard drive is still not detected, it may be a hardware issue and you may need to replace the hard drive.

3. How do I back up my data before solving a hard disk problem on my Dell GX620?

You can back up your data by transferring it to an external hard drive, using a cloud storage service, or creating a disk image. It is important to back up your data before attempting any troubleshooting steps to avoid any potential data loss.

4. What are some common symptoms of a hard disk problem on a Dell GX620?

Some common symptoms of a hard disk problem on a Dell GX620 include slow performance, error messages during boot or while using the computer, and files becoming corrupted or inaccessible. You may also hear strange noises coming from the hard drive.

5. Can I replace the hard drive on my Dell GX620 myself?

Yes, it is possible to replace the hard drive on a Dell GX620 yourself. However, if you are not familiar with computer hardware and do not feel comfortable doing it yourself, it is recommended to seek professional help. You can also refer to the Dell GX620 manual for step-by-step instructions on replacing the hard drive.