My Dad and I Feed Our Cat Odd Foods - What Gives?

• Thread starter scott_alexsk
  • Start date
In summary: Horses love sugar, for instance. This makes sense to me. I've seen a lot of pictures of horses eating cereal bars and such. I think it's because they like the texture and taste. I've also seen pictures of cats eating tuna and meat, so it's not like they only eat animal flesh.
scott_alexsk
I noticed something interesting recently. Sometimes my dad and I are really mean and we feed our cat relative junk for him like small peices of fruit, cereal bars, etc. Yet he does not seem to get sick and it seems like he is even attracted to some of the sweeter stuff. This makes very little sense to me because if cats in the wild were meant to eat just meat why would they have any affinity whatsoever for sweet things?

Thanks,
-scott

Biology news on Phys.org
scott_alexsk said:
I noticed something interesting recently. Sometimes my dad and I are really mean and we feed our cat relative junk for him like small peices of fruit, cereal bars, etc. Yet he does not seem to get sick and it seems like he is even attracted to some of the sweeter stuff. This makes very little sense to me because if cats in the wild were meant to eat just meat why would they have any affinity whatsoever for sweet things?

Thanks,
-scott
Cats love tuna, ever see a cat out in the deep sea catching a 400 pound tuna? Or see a cat take down a cow, yet they love beef. :biggrin: Domestic cats don't "normally" eat anything that a cat "in the wild" would eat. Ever read the list of ingredients on a bag of dry cat food?

One of my cats loved lemon cake, another would drink my cappucino if I left it uncovered.

One of my cats loved canned peas, and another one would do anything for marshmallows. I had a little tabby cat who used to split a croissant with me every Sunday morning.

Interesting, but like I said before, why would they be at all attracted to it, if their bodies truly required only meat? Has your cat ever seemed unhealthy after eating any of these things?
-scott

scott_alexsk said:
Interesting, but like I said before, why would they be at all attracted to it, if their bodies truly required only meat? Has your cat ever seemed unhealthy after eating any of these things?
-scott
It probably doesn't apply to all animals, but at least all domesticated animals seem to like "junk" food. Horses love sugar, for instance.

Oh dear, this piqued my curiosity so I did a google search and one of the first articles I ran across was titled "cats - friend or food?" :frown:

What was scarier was the vegan diet for cats. :bugeye: That cannot be healthy for a cat, it's not even healthy for a human without the addition of nutritional supplements such as vitamin B12.

Sorry, I've found so much bizarre material that it will be awhile before I have an answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
MeJennifer said:
How about Kosher food for pets?
http://www.kosherpets.com/fordogs.html" :bugeye:
At least it's nutritionally sound. Got to love these titles! :rofl:

Fancy Schmancy Chopped Liver Dinner

Schlep Less with our Freeze-Dried Beef Patties

Bring out the Mensch in your pooch!

One of my cats eats the the red thing from the middle of green olives, yet not the olive. The other one goes nuts for bananas..go figure?

hypatia said:
One of my cats eats the the red thing from the middle of green olives, yet not the olive. The other one goes nuts for bananas..go figure?
Ok, you win the prize for weird cats :rofl: Even my cats won't eat the pimentos from inside olives, heck they won't even eat the olives, but they WILL eat sweets, I think those researchers are full of it. "we have an elegant explanation", my toosh. :rolleyes:

All of this just goes to prove that cats use people for playthings. :biggrin:
Bet those cats conspire on what they are going to get the researcher to believe this time. :wink:

What continues to not make sense to me is why wild dogs are truly dependent on meat, but still have cravings and an affinity for suger. The only explanation I can think of for it is that a common ancestor used to be an omnivore, but through time the dogs' source of nutrition changed producing something that needs meat but still likes the taste of sugar?
-scott

Ok I looked up some articles on the subject. The one below concludes that dogs and cats are not at all omnivores since they were truly 'meant' to only eat meat. The problem with what we are feeding the average pet manifests itself in dental problems.

http://www.doggedblog.com/doggedblog/2004/11/of_carnivores_o.html" [Broken]

Yet my possible explanation as to why dogs and other pets may have a craving to sugar does not stand up since the supposed common ancestor of dogs was a small insectivore.

-scott

Even if cats cannot taste sweets they can smell them. If it smells good they either eat it or rub it all over themselves. I had a cat that LOVED the smell of ripe peaches. I could not leave them out on the counter or there would be fur and tooth marks all over them. This is the same cat that ate a pine apple chunk and half a canned pear.

larkspur said:
Even if cats cannot taste sweets they can smell them. If it smells good they either eat it or rub it all over themselves. I had a cat that LOVED the smell of ripe peaches. I could not leave them out on the counter or there would be fur and tooth marks all over them. This is the same cat that ate a pine apple chunk and half a canned pear.
Are you sure you didn't have a fruit bat?

Math Is Hard said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Math Is Hard said:
:rofl: :rofl:
She was definitely a fruit cat!:biggrin:

Possible fruit cat siting.

Attachments

• frogkitten6av8py.jpg
    frogkitten6av8py.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 411
Evo said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Awww, its so pudgy!

Evo said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :biggrin:

1. Why do you feed your cat odd foods?

We feed our cat odd foods for a variety of reasons. Some odd foods, such as cooked chicken or fish, can provide necessary nutrients that may not be present in regular cat food. Additionally, it adds variety to their diet and can help prevent them from getting bored with their food.

2. Is it safe to feed my cat odd foods?

It is generally safe to feed your cat odd foods, as long as they are not toxic to cats. However, it is important to do your research and consult with a veterinarian to ensure that the odd foods are suitable for your cat's health and dietary needs.

3. Can feeding my cat odd foods lead to health problems?

Feeding your cat odd foods in moderation should not cause any health problems. However, if your cat has any pre-existing health conditions or sensitivities, it is important to consult with a veterinarian before introducing new foods into their diet.

4. What are some examples of odd foods that are safe for cats?

Some examples of odd foods that are safe for cats include cooked lean meats, certain fruits and vegetables, and small amounts of dairy products. Again, it is important to do your research and consult with a veterinarian before feeding your cat any new foods.

5. How often should I feed my cat odd foods?

It is recommended to feed your cat odd foods in moderation and as a supplement to their regular diet. This can be done a few times a week or even once a day, depending on your cat's individual needs and preferences. It is important to monitor your cat's weight and overall health to ensure they are getting proper nutrition.