Oregon State Univ's Purple Tomatoes: Health Benefits & Cool Color

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, researchers at Oregon State University have developed a purple tomato with potential health benefits due to its high levels of lycopene, the same phytochemical found in blueberries. This unique pigment not only looks cool, but may also help reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease. Some people are hesitant to try the purple tomatoes due to their unusual appearance, but others are excited about the possibility of getting their lycopene in "designer colors". Some restaurants and food stores have experienced a drop in business after changing their lighting or wall colors, which can affect the perceived freshness of food. However, some individuals may be hesitant to try the purple tomatoes due to their appearance.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Purple could be the color of the future for tomatoes.

Researchers at Oregon State University are fine-tuning a purple tomato with skin as dark as eggplant. The novel pigment not only looks cool but potentially is better for you.

It contains the same phytochemical found in blueberries that is thought to reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease. [continued]
http://www.statesmanjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061020/NEWS/610200323&SearchID=73260872310650

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I read about those, I'd like to try some.

now you can get your lycopene in designer colors! lycopene is known for its antioxidant properties, i would imagine that the purple tomatoes have similar cancer fighting nutrients that blueberries have.

Hi Kerrie!

We have missed you.

I just read some stuff about restaurants and food stores having sudden drops in business when they changed their lighting or the color of paint on the walls. It turns out these changes made the food look strange colors. This was especially problematic in the case of meat since we look to its color to gage its freshness.

I wouldn't expect anything purple to taste like a tomato, and would probably not eat it voluntarily.

zoobyshoe said:
I wouldn't expect anything purple to taste like a tomato, and would probably not eat it voluntarily.

You remind me of my little brother. As a kid he wouldn't eat ice cream because he didn't like the way it looked.

What are the health benefits of Oregon State Univ's purple tomatoes?

Oregon State Univ's purple tomatoes contain anthocyanins, a type of antioxidant that has been linked to a reduced risk of chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease. They also have high levels of vitamin C and other nutrients that can boost the immune system and promote overall health.

How are Oregon State Univ's purple tomatoes different from regular tomatoes?

Oregon State Univ's purple tomatoes are genetically modified to produce higher levels of anthocyanins, which gives them their purple color. Regular tomatoes do not contain as much of this antioxidant and have a red color due to the presence of lycopene.

Are there any potential risks associated with eating Oregon State Univ's purple tomatoes?

No, there are no known risks associated with consuming Oregon State Univ's purple tomatoes. They have undergone extensive safety testing and have been approved for consumption by the FDA.

How do the purple tomatoes from Oregon State Univ taste?

The taste of the purple tomatoes from Oregon State Univ is similar to regular tomatoes, with a slightly sweeter and more complex flavor due to the higher levels of anthocyanins. They can be used in any recipe that calls for tomatoes.

Can anyone buy Oregon State Univ's purple tomatoes?

At the moment, Oregon State Univ's purple tomatoes are not available for purchase as they are still in the research and development phase. However, once they are commercially available, anyone can buy them from select grocery stores or farmers' markets.