Calculating Energy Needed to Fill a 100ft Round Tank with Gasoline

• Thread starter mellbee
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a question involving filling a round tank with gasoline and calculating the amount of energy required. The tank has a diameter of 100 feet and will be filled from the bottom. The weight of gasoline is given as 40 lbs per cubic foot. The person asking for help has tried to set up an integral but is struggling due to not having a background in physics. Another person suggests using a hint to solve the problem without needing to explicitly integrate.
mellbee
This one has everyone stumped. Help ??!

Even went out to the college for help with this one. A round tak is 100 feet in diameter. It is to be filled with gasoline from the BOTTOM. The gasoline weighs 40 lbs per cubic foot. How much ENERGY in ergs will be required to fill the tank ? :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like Homework to me... Please show your attempted solution in order to get help.

Hint: Consider the change in potential energy

Not homework, but bonus question on a test that has been driving me up the wall. Will get the answer next week, but it's killing me. Thanks.

Well... what have you done so far?

Well, I tried to figure out how to set up the intergal, but that was a far as I got. If I could figure out how to set up my integral, I would be able to evaluate easily. I think my problem is that I'm a calc 2 student who hasn't had any physics, and that is why this is stumping me.

If you'd had some physics, you'd see that you can solve this without having to explicitly integrate. See the hint in post #2.

1. How did this problem arise?

This question is often asked in order to understand the context and background of the problem. Knowing the cause of the problem can help in finding a solution.

2. Has anyone attempted to solve this problem before?

This is a common question as people want to know if there have been previous attempts at finding a solution. Knowing the previous efforts can help in avoiding repeating the same mistakes.

3. What research has been done on this topic?

This question is asked to understand the current state of research on the problem. Knowing the existing knowledge can help in identifying potential solutions or areas that need further investigation.

4. What are the possible approaches to solving this problem?

People often want to know the different ways in which the problem can be approached. This can help in brainstorming and considering different perspectives.

5. Can this problem be solved?

This is a crucial question as it determines the feasibility of finding a solution. As a scientist, it is important to be honest and transparent about the potential for solving the problem.