Rigidity of tubing VS solid bar

• Thread starter isuzunut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solid
In summary, the conversation discusses the rigidity of a 1 inch solid steel bar versus a 1 inch hollow tube with a 1/4 inch wall. It is stated that tubing is generally more rigid due to the distribution of forces. However, it is also noted that there may be other factors to consider, especially if the walls of the tube are very thin.
isuzunut
Ok, I searched.
And I need some one to confirm what is more rigid. If you have a 1 inch solid steel bar and a 1 inch, say... 1/4 inch wall pipe, what is easier to bend the rod or the hollow tube?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Isuzunut.
I'm not actually sure about the diameter, but tubing is definitely more rigid on a by-weight basis. If you look at things like car frames, roll cages, fence posts, aircraft landing gear, etc., you'll notice that it's all tubular. For the same reason, I-beams and H-beams are used in building construction. All that I can tell you is that it's because of the way compression, tension, and torsional forces are distributed. Someone else will have to give you the straight facts.

Last edited:
The rigidity in bending is proportional to the moment of area of the cross section.

So ignoring any other considerations, for the same mass of material, increasing the diameter and decreasing the wall thickness gives more rigidity. A solid bar is the worst (most flexible) case.

Obviously there ARE other considerations, if the walls of the tube are very thin.

1. What is the difference between rigidity of tubing and solid bar?

The rigidity of a material refers to its resistance to deformation under a load. In the case of tubing and solid bar, the main difference lies in their cross-sectional shape. Tubing has a hollow center, while solid bar is completely filled. This difference in shape affects the distribution of the load and ultimately impacts the rigidity of the material.

2. Which is more rigid, tubing or solid bar?

Overall, solid bar is more rigid than tubing. This is because the load is evenly distributed throughout the entire cross-sectional area of the bar, whereas in tubing, the load is concentrated on the outer edges. However, the specific rigidity of a material depends on various factors such as the material type, dimensions, and manufacturing process.

3. Can tubing be made as rigid as solid bar?

Yes, it is possible to achieve a similar level of rigidity in tubing as in solid bar. This can be achieved by using thicker tubing or by incorporating reinforcing elements such as internal ribs or external supports. However, these methods may also increase the weight and cost of the tubing.

4. What are the advantages of using tubing over solid bar?

One advantage of using tubing is its lower weight compared to solid bar. This makes it a more practical choice for applications where weight is a critical factor, such as in aerospace or automotive industries. Additionally, tubing can also be more cost-effective, as it requires less material to achieve the same strength as solid bar.

5. In what situations would solid bar be a better choice than tubing?

Solid bar is often preferred in applications where rigidity and strength are the most important factors. This includes structural components in buildings and bridges, as well as in heavy machinery and equipment. Solid bar is also less susceptible to bending and buckling under load compared to tubing, making it a better choice for high-stress applications.