Exploring the SU(2)_L x U(1)_Y Gauge Field Theory of Electroweak Interaction

In summary, the electroweak interaction is described by a gauge field theory based on the SU(2)_{L}\timesU(1)_Y symmetry group. This symmetry group is important because it ensures that the electroweak force is invariant under a global phase transformation.
americanforest
What does it mean to say to say that the electroweak interaction is described by a gauge field theory based on the [tex]SU(2)_{L}\times[/tex][tex]U(1)_Y[/tex] symmetry group?

I know that SU(2) is a group of unitary matrices and U(1) is the circle group but I don't really see what the sentence means. I haven't taken any quantum mechanics but an doing research on Higgs decays and would like to gain a bit more understanding.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anybody?

americanforest said:
What does it mean to say to say that the electroweak interaction is described by a gauge field theory based on the [tex]SU(2)_{L}\times[/tex][tex]U(1)_Y[/tex] symmetry group?

You are asking people to explain Wienberg-Salam theory to you! Given the fact that you "haven't taken any QM", this would be an impossible task to achieve.
To understand "why" Wienberg & Salam chose the gauge group SU(2) X U(1) for their model, the following is required;

1) QM
2) QFT
3) The gauge principle ( abelian & non-abelian)
4) Group theory

and, if you to understand the whole W-S model, you also need

5) The Higgs phenomenon.

I haven't taken any quantum mechanics but an doing research on Higgs decays and would like to gain a bit more understanding

How do you do that without understanding QM?

regards

sam

americanforest said:

I know that SU(2) is a group of unitary matrices and U(1) is the circle group but I don't really see what the sentence means. I haven't taken any quantum mechanics but an doing research on Higgs decays and would like to gain a bit more understanding.

ok, if you just want to understand what this statement means then:
the keyword in this sentence is gauge field theory. The group can be any (Lie) groups really, but gauge invariance means a lot. Suppose you have a group transformation operator, [tex]U(\vec \alpha) = \exp (i \vec \alpha \cdot \vec g)[/tex] where
[tex]\vec g = (g_1, g_2, \ldots, g_n)[/tex] and the [tex]g_i[/tex] is a generator of the group G. here [tex]\vec \alpha = (\alpha_1, \alpha_2, \ldots, \alpha_n)[/tex] is just a list of parameters. now if a transformation under [tex]U(\vec \alpha)[/tex], say
[tex]\psi'(x)=U(\vec \alpha) \psi(x)[/tex] leave your overall Lagrangian (say a Dirac Lagrangian) invariance, then we say the Lagrangian is invariant under a global phase transformation. Now what is this Lagrangian, it is unimportant for someone who do not know Quantum Mechanics. But what is important is that suppose you have some Lagrangian which is made up of some combinations of the [tex]\psi(x)[/tex] field and its conjugate put together in such a way that when you apply [tex]U(\vec \alpha)[/tex] to them the overall Lagrangian won't change (of course this needs not happen, but let's assume it does).

now we can go further and ask whether each [tex]\alpha_i[/tex] are just numbers or can they be dependent on x (the position coordinate) as well? In general, you will find that the Lagrangian under such transformation as [tex]U(\vec \alpha(x))[/tex], do change and in order to keep it invariant, you need to introduce a gauge field and the associated gauge transformation of this field. So everytime when apply [tex]U(\vec \alpha(x))[/tex] to [tex]\psi(x)[/tex], you also apply this gauge tranformation to your gauge field. Now if the overall Lagrangian remains unchanged after these series of tranformations (local gauge transformation), then we say it is gauge invariance. (ok... that's all you really need to know, without seeing the maths)

Now, the obvious by-product of the above process is the introduction of the gauge field which turns out to be, in the SU(2)xU(1) case, corresponding to the electroweak force. So, to answer your question as to what that initial statement means, it is nothing but saying that the gauge field associated with the SU(2)xU(1) group (when you apply this symmetry it leaves the appropriate electroweak lagrangian invariant) turns out to be the electroweak force we observed in reality.

people are motivated to look at this because for quantum electrodynamics (QED), the group is [tex]U(1)_Q[/tex] where Q means charge. And it is known for a while that local gauge invariance is exactly how to explain electromagnetic interactions. Electroweak and SU(2)xU(1) is a great triumph for physics and symmetry.

NB: the generators for [tex]SU(2)_L\times U(1)_Y[/tex] (for electroweak) are the pauli spin matrices and hypercharge Y (whatever that means.. but the key point is that it is different from Q)

1. What is the SU(2)_L x U(1)_Y gauge field theory of electroweak interaction?

The SU(2)_L x U(1)_Y gauge field theory is a mathematical framework used to describe the interactions between the electroweak force and elementary particles. It combines the SU(2)_L symmetry group, which describes the weak force, with the U(1)_Y symmetry group, which describes the electromagnetic force.

2. How does the gauge field theory explain the unification of the weak and electromagnetic forces?

The gauge field theory explains the unification of the weak and electromagnetic forces by incorporating the concept of spontaneous symmetry breaking. This means that the symmetry between the two forces is broken at low energies, resulting in the weak force and electromagnetic force appearing to be separate. However, at high energies, the two forces are unified and described by the SU(2)_L x U(1)_Y symmetry group.

3. What are the implications of the SU(2)_L x U(1)_Y gauge field theory for particle interactions?

The gauge field theory predicts the existence of three massive vector bosons, known as the W+, W-, and Z bosons, which mediate the weak force. It also predicts the existence of the massless photon, which mediates the electromagnetic force. The interactions between particles are described by the exchange of these bosons, allowing for a better understanding of the dynamics of particle interactions.

4. How does the Higgs mechanism play a role in the SU(2)_L x U(1)_Y gauge field theory?

The Higgs mechanism is an important component of the SU(2)_L x U(1)_Y gauge field theory. It is responsible for the spontaneous symmetry breaking that gives mass to the W+, W-, and Z bosons, as well as the fermions. Without the Higgs mechanism, the gauge field theory would not accurately describe the observed masses of particles.

5. What are the experimental implications of the SU(2)_L x U(1)_Y gauge field theory?

The SU(2)_L x U(1)_Y gauge field theory has been extensively tested and verified through experiments, most notably at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. The discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012 provided strong evidence for the validity of the gauge field theory and helped to further confirm the unification of the weak and electromagnetic forces.