What will I learn in a course on Groups and Symmetries?

In summary, a chemistry student is planning to take a math course called "Groups and Symmetries" in the summer. This course covers topics such as congruences, fields, permutations, linear groups, abstract groups, and symmetry groups. It also includes applications in chemistry, such as wallpaper groups and space groups for classifying symmetries of crystalline substances, Polya enumeration for enumerating alkanes, and representation theory for analyzing vibrations of molecules. Additionally, group theory has applications in quantum mechanics and mathematical methods for studying nonlinear systems of differential equations. This course is highly recommended for chemistry students.
Howers
Hello. As some of you know I'm a chemistry student, but I plan to take some math for the hell of it next summer. I've come across a course called "Groups and Symmetries" and intend to take it, mainly because it is one of the few upper maths avaialbe in the summer. I've never heard of this type of math, and I am assuming it is some form of upper algebra. If anyone can tell me what I would learn in this kind of course I would appretiate it. And would this course have math useful in physics and chemistry? Here is the descprition:

Congruences and fields. Permutations and permutation groups. Linear groups. Abstract groups, homomorphisms, subgroups. Symmetry groups of regular polygons and Platonic solids, wallpaper groups. Group actions, class formula. Cosets, Lagrange’s theorem. Normal subgroups, quotient groups. Classification of finitely generated abelian groups. Emphasis on examples and calculations.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
At least three reasons why should take this course

Hi, Howers,

Three gifts from the mathematical gods to students of chemistry:

1. Wallpaper groups and space groups, which are required to classify the symmetries of crystalline substances. Looks like the course in question will cover wallpaper groups, which should give you the background to read about space groups on your own.

2. Polya enumeration, for which the original application was enumerating alkanes. (See http://algo.inria.fr/libraries/autocomb/Polya-html/Polya.html for this topic dressed up in the language, more or less, of "structors", aka "combinatorial species".) Polya enumeration could well be included as a special topic in the course you are considering, so you should try to see the professor in advance and request this topic.

3. Elementary group theory is a prerequisite for a course on representation theory, which is needed to analyze the vibrations of molecules.

This is only a partial list: I could add many more topics. In particular, group theory is also needed for quantum mechanics, which as you no doubt know is needed for models of atoms. Also, group theory is necessary background for many important mathematical methods, such as Lie's symmetry analysis of (systems of) PDEs and ODEs, which is pretty much the only general method for attacking nonlinear systems of differential equations (no magic bullet, but often useful). So if you ever found yourself studying say the Belousov-Zhabotinsky spatially oscillating reaction (which can be modeled by an interesting system of nonlinear PDEs), you'd want to have this tool handy. If you got interested in quasicrystals you'd want to know about the group theoretical take on Fourier transforms, and so on...

Last edited:
Wow, thanks!

I had no idea there so much chemistry can be modeled by math. I thought quanta was the end. Good thing this will have a practical use.

What are groups and symmetries?

Groups and symmetries are mathematical concepts used to describe the repeating patterns and transformations found in nature and the world around us. A group is a set of elements that can be combined together using a defined operation, and symmetries are transformations that leave an object unchanged.

How are groups and symmetries useful in science?

Groups and symmetries have many applications in science, particularly in the fields of physics and chemistry. They can be used to describe the behavior of particles and molecules, the properties of crystals, and the laws of conservation in physics.

What is an example of a symmetry group?

One example of a symmetry group is the rotational symmetry group, which consists of all the possible rotations that can be performed on an object without changing its appearance. This group is commonly used in the study of molecular structures.

How are groups and symmetries related to symmetry breaking?

Symmetry breaking occurs when a system or object has a higher degree of symmetry than its surroundings. Groups and symmetries can be used to analyze and understand this phenomenon, which is important in fields such as particle physics and cosmology.

Are there any practical applications of groups and symmetries?

Yes, groups and symmetries have practical applications in many areas of science and technology. For example, they are used in image and signal processing, data compression, cryptography, and coding theory.