Solve Spring Force Homework: Mass, Lower Spring & Compression Length

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a mass is being lowered onto a vertical spring and the questions pertain to the spring scale readings and the spring constant of the lower spring. The first question is answered by calculating the force of the mass using the formula F=mg. The second question involves using the equation k=F_spring/delta s to find the spring constant of the lower spring. The third question asks for the compression length at which the scale reads zero, which can be found by dividing the total force by the spring constant and converting to cm.
tibessiba

Homework Statement

A 6.90 mass hanging from a spring scale is slowly lowered onto a vertical spring, as shown in the figure.

What does the spring scale read just before the mass touches the lower spring? --> I calculated this to be F= 67.6 N just using m*g.

The second question is:
The scale reads 24.0 N when the lower spring has been compressed by 2.70cm . What is the value of the spring constant for the lower spring?

k = ? N/m

The third question is:
At what compression length will the scale read zero?
delta y = ? cm

Homework Equations

For the second question I tried using the equation k = F_spring/delta s

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempted to use this formula to get k = 24 N/0.027 m which was equal to 888.9 N/m. However this is not correct. Can anyone tell me where I went wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're using F_spring of the upper spring, to find the spring constant of the lower spring...

If the upper spring is reading 24N... that means the upper spring is exerting an upward force of 24N on the mass...

The lower spring exerts an upward force of kx = k(0.027)

And then there's the weight of the mass acting downwards...

What is the vector sum of these 3 forces? use that to solve for k.

Ok, Thank You! I got it. I took 24N - 67.7N and then divided that by 0.027m to get -1614.8N/m.

But now the next question is:

At what compression length will the scale read zero?

delta y = ? cm

Do I just take the total force (67.7N) and divide it by the spring constant?? (and convert to cm)?

1. What is spring force?

Spring force is the force exerted by a spring when it is stretched or compressed. It is a restorative force that brings the spring back to its original length when the external force is removed.

2. How is spring force calculated?

Spring force can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. The formula for spring force is F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

3. How does mass affect spring force?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the spring force. However, the weight of the object can cause an external force on the spring, which in turn affects the spring force. The heavier the object, the greater the external force, and therefore the greater the spring force.

4. What is the relationship between lower spring and spring force?

The lower spring refers to the bottom point of the spring where it is attached to a fixed object. The lower spring does not directly affect the spring force, but it does play a role in determining the displacement and therefore the spring force. The closer the lower spring is to the equilibrium position, the smaller the displacement and the smaller the spring force.

5. How does compression length affect spring force?

The compression length refers to the distance the spring is compressed from its equilibrium position. As the compression length increases, the displacement of the spring also increases, resulting in a larger spring force. This is in accordance with Hooke's Law, where the force is directly proportional to the displacement.