Calculating Water Flow Rate in Sloped Reservoir | Simple Calculus Question

• Thread starter Darkiekurdo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the problem describes a truncated pyramid shaped reservoir with a square cross section. By finding the volume V as a function of p and h, and considering the rate of water flow c, the expression for the rate at which the surface of the water is rising at an instant with depth h can be determined. After substituting the given values of p=17, h=4, and c=35, the rate can be calculated to be dh/dt = c/(p+2h)^2.
Darkiekurdo

Homework Statement

A reservoir of square cross-section has sides sloping at an angle of 45 degrees with the vertical. The side of the bottom is p feet in length, and water flows in the reservoir at the rate of c cubic feet per minute. Find an expression for the rate at which the surface of the water is rising at the instant its depth is h feet. Calculate this rate when p = 17, h = 4 and c = 35.

Homework Equations

Not stated

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to begin, I'm sorry. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by trying to find an expression for the volume V as a function of h and p.

What shape is the reservoir?

Darkiekurdo said:
What shape is the reservoir?

Did you read the problem? It's a truncated pyramid with square cross section.

Dick said:
Did you read the problem? It's a truncated pyramid with square cross section.
Hmm. I didn't know that. How did you come up with that?

Darkiekurdo said:

I read the first sentence of the problem you posted.

Darkiekurdo said:

Did you even read the problem? You asked the question and it seems like you haven't even read it. The first sentence describes the shape of the resevoir.

d_leet said:
Did you even read the problem? You asked the question and it seems like you haven't even read it. The first sentence describes the shape of the resevoir.
Of course I read it but I didn't know what that was. Sorry.

Anyway, the volume of a truncated pyramid is

[tex]V = \frac{H}{3}(A + a + \sqrt{Aa})[/tex]

right?

Last edited:
Right, if the A and a are the areas of the top and bottom.

What should I do next?

Apply that formula to your problem. If the reservoir is filled to height h, what are the areas of the top and bottom?

So the area of A = p2 and a = (p+2h)2.

Now you are cooking. What's the formula then for the volume V in terms of p and h?

Then I'll just substitute those in the formula for the volume:

[tex]\frac{H}{3}[p^2 + p(p + 2h) + (p + 2h)^2][/tex]

H=h, right? Now to make life easier later, I would expand that out. Now you have V as a function of p and h. What next? Please don't say "I don't know".

Yeah, I should have written it as 1/3h instead of H/3 actually.

Thus,

[tex]p^2h + 2ph^2 + \frac{4}{3}h^3[/tex]

Better and better. What next?

I'm stuck. :(

Maybe we should take time in consideration?

Darkiekurdo said:
Maybe we should take time in consideration?

Sure. You must have done some other rate problems, right? Review them.

I'm just beginning with these so I'm not very familiar with those. I'll try though:

*something*time = [tex]p^2h + 2ph^2 + \frac{4}{3}h^3[/tex]

*something* = c. :tongue2:

So:

ct = [tex]p^2h + 2ph^2 + \frac{4}{3}h^3[/tex]

Think derivatives. dV/dt is the rate water is coming in. dh/dt is the rate that it's rising.

So we need to find dh/dt?

That's what they are asking for, right?

Sure. That derivative is

[tex]\frac{c}{(p + 2h)^2}[/tex]

Then it's just substituting the required values.

No. How did you get that? Differentiate your expression for V with respect to t, remember h=h(t) is a function of time.

t = dt/dh. So c*dt/dh = p2 + 4ph + 4h2 = (p + 2h)2. Thus we get

dt/dh = [tex]\frac{c}{(p + 2h)^2}[/tex]

Darkiekurdo said:
t = dt/dh. So c*dt/dh = p2 + 4ph + 4h2 = (p + 2h)2. Thus we get

dt/dh = [tex]\frac{c}{(p + 2h)^2}[/tex]

Actually, that's right. Apologies. But it's dh/dt, not dt/dh.

Dick said:
Actually, that's right. Apologies. But it's dh/dt, not dt/dh.
You're right. :approve:

Thanks a lot though! I know sometimes I look a little bit stupid but I hope that's the age. :rofl:

1. How do you calculate water flow rate in a sloped reservoir?

The water flow rate in a sloped reservoir can be calculated by using the formula Q = A x V, where Q is the flow rate in cubic meters per second, A is the cross-sectional area of the reservoir in square meters, and V is the velocity of the water in meters per second.

2. What is the importance of calculating water flow rate in a sloped reservoir?

Calculating water flow rate in a sloped reservoir is important for understanding the amount of water that can be stored and the rate at which it can be released. This information is crucial for managing water resources and ensuring a consistent and sustainable supply of water.

3. How does the slope of a reservoir affect the water flow rate?

The slope of a reservoir affects the water flow rate by influencing the velocity of the water. A steeper slope will result in a higher velocity and therefore a higher flow rate, while a gentler slope will result in a lower velocity and flow rate.

4. Can calculus be used to calculate water flow rate in a sloped reservoir?

Yes, calculus can be used to calculate water flow rate in a sloped reservoir. Calculus allows us to find the instantaneous rate of change of the water level, which is necessary for accurately calculating the flow rate.

5. Are there any limitations to using calculus for calculating water flow rate in a sloped reservoir?

While calculus can provide accurate calculations for water flow rate in a sloped reservoir, it does have some limitations. The calculations may not be as accurate if the reservoir has irregular shapes or if there are significant changes in the slope along the reservoir. In these cases, other methods such as numerical integration may be more appropriate.