Cubic and Ellipse problem

The question is asking to prove that the elliptical function and the cubic function are orthogonal when they intersect. This can be shown by finding the slopes of the two functions at their point of intersection and showing that their product is -1, which is the property of orthogonal lines.
QuantumKing
The question I am looking at states:
Prove that the elliptical function x^2 + 3y^2=b is orthogonal to the cubic y=3ax^3.

I'm thinking they want me to prove if the functions are orthogonal when they intersect. If I am correct that would just lead to;

For the ellipse,
2x+6y(m1)=0, m1=-x/3y, when they intersect: m1=-x/3(3ax^3)=-1/9ax^2

Cubic,
m2=9ax^2

m1xm2=[-1/9ax^2][9ax^2]=-1, Therefore they are orthogonal when they intersect.

Am I right here? Is this even what the question was asking for?

Physics news on Phys.org
QuantumKing said:
The question I am looking at states:
Prove that the elliptical function x^2 + 3y^2=b is orthogonal to the cubic y=3ax^3.

I'm thinking they want me to prove if the functions are orthogonal when they intersect. If I am correct that would just lead to;

For the ellipse,
2x+6y(m1)=0, m1=-x/3y, when they intersect: m1=-x/3(3ax^3)=-1/9ax^2

Cubic,
m2=9ax^2

m1xm2=[-1/9ax^2][9ax^2]=-1, Therefore they are orthogonal when they intersect.

Am I right here? Is this even what the question was asking for?
Yes, that's exactly right.

Yes, you are correct in your approach to the problem. The question is asking for a proof that the two functions are orthogonal at their points of intersection. Your calculation of the slopes at the points of intersection shows that the product of the slopes is -1, which is the condition for two lines to be orthogonal. This proves that the two functions are orthogonal at their points of intersection. Good job!

What is a cubic and ellipse problem?

A cubic and ellipse problem involves finding the intersection points between a cubic function and an ellipse. This can be solved using algebraic methods or graphically.

What real-life applications does the cubic and ellipse problem have?

The cubic and ellipse problem can be used in engineering and physics to model and solve real-life problems involving curved surfaces, such as the shape of a water tank or the path of a satellite orbiting the Earth.

What are the different methods for solving a cubic and ellipse problem?

The most common methods for solving a cubic and ellipse problem are the substitution method, the elimination method, and the graphing method. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable for different scenarios.

What are some common challenges when solving a cubic and ellipse problem?

One challenge in solving a cubic and ellipse problem is the complexity of the equations involved, which may require advanced algebra skills. Another challenge is accurately graphing the equations to find the intersection points.

Are there any online resources or tools available for solving cubic and ellipse problems?

Yes, there are various online calculators and graphing tools that can help with solving cubic and ellipse problems. Some examples include Wolfram Alpha, Desmos, and Symbolab.