Does the Atom Have to Be U238 in Schrödinger's Cat Experiment?

In summary: Wouldn't something like plutonium work just as well?The experiment wouldn't make sense if the cat were not alive at the time that the observer opened the box to put the cat in. Answer:The cat is alive because the atom didn't decay in N minutes. The atom is U238, which has a half-life of 4.5 billion years.
Andre
A simple one, Schrödingers cat.

A cat is placed in a box, together with a radioactive atom. If the atom decays, and the geiger-counter detects an alpha particle, the hammer hits a flask of prussic acid (HCN), killing the cat.

Now why is the cat alive when the observer opens the box?

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer:

The experiment wouldn't make sense if the cat were not alive at the time that the observer opened the box to put the cat in.

eom

okay let me rephrase, opening the box after N minutes after the start of the experiment. But good thinking.

Andre said:
Answer:

Because the observer is in the box with the cat. If the cat dies, so does the observer, and the box is never opened. If the observer opens the box, it means the observer is alive, and that means the cat is alive.

eom

Incredible how many way you can think out of the cat's box, It's starting to look like 'why did the duck cross the street'

Think proverbal.

Andre said:
Think proverbal.
I did early on, but I didn't think much of it. Answer:

The cat will only lose at most one of its nine lives. However, the cat may have lost eight lives before being confined, so this answer doesn't cover all cases.

eom

Right, So did Schrödinger think in of out the box?

Anyway, in another forum yesterday, I met an old forum buddy who inquired if I was still thinking out of the box while busy with a complex elaboration. So I replied that the quartenary box was way too small to think in so somebody else posted this picture

schroeslol.jpg

asking if this box was big enough. So I needed some ammo to dismiss the joke and carry on with the thread. So I explained why not even Schrödinger thought out of the box.

it's alive because that's the first time he opened the box to put the cat in!

Andre said:
A simple one, Schrödingers cat.

A cat is placed in a box, together with a radioactive atom. If the atom decays, and the geiger-counter detects an alpha particle, the hammer hits a flask of prussic acid (HCN), killing the cat.

Is there really a trick to this?

The cat is alive because the atom didn't decay in N minutes. The atom is U238, which has a half-life of 4.5 billion years.

Personally, I think the setup is shaky. One atom? How are you going to detect one alpha particle?

Are we to assume that the geiger-counter works?

ƒ(x) said:
Are we to assume that the geiger-counter works?
Is there a reason to assume otherwise?

In that case, wouldn't the obvious answer be that the atom didn't decay?

ƒ(x) said:
In that case, wouldn't the obvious answer be that the atom didn't decay?
You read post #9, right? :tongue:

Of course, but does the atom have to be U238?

1. What does it mean to "think out of the cat's box"?

"Thinking out of the cat's box" is a play on the phrase "thinking outside the box," which refers to thinking creatively and approaching problems from new and unconventional angles. In this context, it specifically refers to considering a situation or problem from a cat's perspective, which may involve different priorities and solutions than a human's perspective.

2. Why use a cat as a metaphor for creative thinking?

Cats are known for their curious, independent, and sometimes mischievous nature, making them a fitting symbol for thinking outside the box. They also have unique behaviors and abilities that humans may not possess, which can inspire new ways of thinking.

3. How can "thinking out of the cat's box" benefit us?

By thinking out of the cat's box, we can break away from conventional thinking patterns and come up with fresh, innovative ideas. It can also help us understand and empathize with others' perspectives, leading to better problem-solving and collaboration.

4. Is "thinking out of the cat's box" a skill that can be learned?

Yes, thinking out of the cat's box is a skill that can be developed and improved through practice. It involves challenging our assumptions and biases, being open to new perspectives, and actively seeking out different ways of thinking.

5. How can we encourage "thinking out of the cat's box" in ourselves and others?

To encourage thinking out of the cat's box, we can create a supportive and non-judgmental environment where new ideas are welcomed and encouraged. We can also actively seek out diverse perspectives and incorporate them into our problem-solving processes.