Sleep Patterns: How to Get Good Rest & Feel Refreshed

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sleep
In summary: No caffeine. And I sleep 8-9 hours without issues.Depends on the time of year. I used to be the sort that could not go to bed before 2 am, and desired more than anything in the world to sleep in until 10 or 11 in the morning. It has caused me a lot of problems, like when I'd have to get to work for early meetings or go on group bike rides that started at 8 am, etc.Recently, I did an experiment -- I just stopped using caffeine. I completely cut it out of my diet, and within a week I was on "old-man hours." I would get tired at 11, often go to bed before midnight, and find myself unable to
rocketboy said:
My body seems to have gotten into the habit of automatically getting out of bed and turning them off and then jumping back into bed. I wonder if I even wake up!?

Careful, rocketboy! You're taking baby steps to full-blown somnambulant disassembly!

Physics news on Phys.org
lisab said:
You're taking baby steps to full-blown somnambulant disassembly!

Speaking of which, I meant to ask before; you do unplug these things before gutting them, right?

Danger said:
Speaking of which, I meant to ask before; you do unplug these things before gutting them, right?

No, which sort of worries me! The clock is apparently the favorite target of my sleeping self. It's battery-powered, so I don't worry about it. I wake up and the batteries are strewn around...sometimes the plastic face of the clock is removed.

The lamps...well, so far I just take the shade off and take the bulbs out. I don't dare leave tools, such as screwdrivers, laying around in my bedroom.

It tends to happen when I'm stressed...I don't know why I do it :redface: !

I hope you haven't tried to disassemble any human or organic occupants of the room at night lisa.

This has the kernel for a great horror movie.

My ex husband was known to fry eggs in his sleep.

Evo said:
My ex husband was known to fry eggs in his sleep.

I hope he had his eyes open! Closed eyes, hot stove and soft tender hands could end in disaster! :rofl:

Out of interest, is sleepwalking sometimes done with eyes open? The person acts pretty normally but it is all sub-conscious?

_Mayday_ said:
Out of interest, is sleepwalking sometimes done with eyes open? The person acts pretty normally but it is all sub-conscious?

Yes.
So, Lisa... let's hope you don't accidentally cross-wire your vibrator into the garage door opener some night. You could wake up to a nasty surprise.

Danger said:
Yes.
So, Lisa... let's hope you don't accidentally cross-wire your vibrator into the garage door opener some night. You could wake up to a nasty surprise.

:blushing: Tell W you need a good smacking :tongue2: !

Wow Danger, that came out of nowhere.

I sleep very soundly :

goto bed between 23-midnight, get up 7-7h30 ! I DO need that amount of hours as a minimum

the nights i don't sleep well in a year, i can count on one hand, really...

marlon

The best solution when you cannot get asleep : having sex !
Afterwards, you sleep like a baby

marlon

lisab said:
Careful, rocketboy! You're taking baby steps to full-blown somnambulant disassembly!

I had to google that one... I used to sleepwalk when I was younger, I guess I grew out of it (never took anything apart though... some engineering student I am!) I remember my mom telling me the story of how she woke up one night to see me walking down the hall, and she would call my name but I wouldn't respond, I was in a trance almost. Anyway, she followed me down two flights of stairs, where I walked over to our sleeping Labrador and I just sprawled across him. Apparently he just looked up at my mom like "help?". She said it was pretty creepy watching me sleepwalk.

marlon said:
The best solution when you cannot get asleep : having sex !
Afterwards, you sleep like a baby

marlon

This is easier said than done. :rolleyes:

I have a friend who used to sleepwalk as a young child and was known to get up and go and pee in the corner of rooms. He also says he was woken up by his father while taking a shower in the middle of the night.

My father slept-walked (sleepwalked?) one time when I was an adolescent. He went downstairs, took all of the laundry out of the dryer, and shoved it all bodily into the refrigerator. My family was not very pleased with the resulting butter, pudding, and fruit stains.

- Warren

For a second I read fridge as freezer and then thought, "well ofcourse they weren't happy with him"

lisab said:
:blushing: Tell W you need a good smacking :tongue2: !

I would, but she left again this morning for 2 weeks. If I happen to remember when she gets back... :rolleyes:

binzing said:
Wow Danger, that came out of nowhere.

Not really. If you want to check back through Franzbear (The Thread Killer Thread) and other GD posts of the same vintage, you'll see that it's a pretty normal response for me. I've just been a bit laid-back for the past couple of years.

rocketboy said:
This is easier said than done. :rolleyes:
Why? Your arms broken?

DaveC426913 said:
Why? Your arms broken?

I'm suspecting something a bit lower... :uhh:

Danger said:
I'm suspecting something a bit lower... :uhh:
No, I meant ... are his arms incapacitated?

Or they could simply be too short...

DaveC426913 said:
Or they could simply be too short...

As I said...