Frames of reference question

In summary, the problem involves a rotating table with a puck being launched by one man and caught by another man at different points on the table. In the stationary frame of reference, the puck appears to move in a straight line, while in the frame of reference of the men on the table, the motion appears circular. The speed of the puck in the stationary frame of reference is 0.40m/s. The final question asks for the speed and direction at which the puck must be launched in order to remain at the same point in the stationary frame of reference.
2020vision

Homework Statement

A smooth level table is centered on a platform which rotates.

- The uniform rotation is at: one revolution in 12 seconds
- Two perpendicular lines are drawn through the centre of the table, intersecting a circle of 1.20m radius at points: A', C', B' & D'.
- Two men, H' and I', sit on the platform at opposite ends of line A'C'
- A third man, J, is above the table so that he can observe the motion of a frictionless puck in a stationary frame of reference.
- J has four marks on the floor, forming two perpendicular reference lines AC and BC through the centre of the table.

Questions:
As H' passes A he gives the puck a sudden push so that it travels along line AC with a speed of 0.40m/s. Construct a vector diagram to show the velocity that H' gave the puck in J's frame of reference.

Make a diagram of the puck's motion as seen by H' and I'

Suppose that H' launches puck as he passes A so the I' will catch the puck as he passes D. Construct diagram which shows motion of puck in J's frame of reference. What is the speed of the puck in this frame of reference?

With what speed and in what direction can H' launch the puck as he passes A so that, as J sees it, the puck remains at A?

Homework Equations

Fc = mv^2/R
= 4pi^2rm/T^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I frankly don't know where to begin but for the first question I know that in J's frame of reference the puck will look like it is moving in a straight line.

To H' and I' the motion will look circular.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the third question, the speed of the puck in J's frame of reference will be 0.40m/s.For the fourth question, I'm not sure what the answer is.

For the third question, the speed of the puck in J's frame of reference can be calculated using the formula Fc = mv^2/R where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the puck, v is its velocity and R is the radius of the circle (1.20m). The speed can also be calculated using the formula v = 2πr/T where T is the time for one revolution (12 seconds) and r is the radius of the circle (1.20m).

For the final question, H' can launch the puck with a speed of 0.40m/s in the direction of line AC so that, as seen by J, the puck remains at A. This is because the puck will continue to move in a straight line with a constant velocity, and since H' is moving at the same speed and direction as line AC, the puck will appear to remain at A in J's frame of reference.

1. What is a frame of reference?

A frame of reference is a set of coordinates used to describe the position, motion, or orientation of an object or system in space. It is a point of view or perspective from which observations and measurements are made.

2. Why is it important to have a frame of reference?

A frame of reference is important because it allows us to make meaningful and accurate observations and measurements about the physical world. It provides a standardized and consistent way to describe the position and motion of objects, which is essential for scientific understanding and communication.

3. How do you define a frame of reference?

A frame of reference is defined by a set of reference points and a coordinate system. The reference points are fixed objects or locations that serve as a starting point for measurements, while the coordinate system is a set of axes that define the three-dimensional space in which the objects are located.

4. Can a frame of reference be stationary?

Yes, a frame of reference can be stationary. In fact, most frames of reference used in everyday life are stationary, such as a room, a city block, or the Earth's surface. However, in physics, it is often useful to define frames of reference that are in motion, such as a moving car or a rotating planet.

5. How does a frame of reference affect the measurement of an object's position or motion?

The choice of frame of reference can greatly affect the measurements and observations made about an object's position or motion. For example, an object may appear to be moving in a straight line when observed from one frame of reference, but may appear to be moving in a curved path when observed from another frame of reference. Additionally, the speed and direction of an object's motion may vary depending on the frame of reference used.