Calculate Force of Bullet Shot Against Wall: v, m

In summary, if you have the initial momentum (P) and the deceleration time (t), you can calculate the average force by using the equation: Force = mass x acceleration.
pixel01
How can I calculate the force of a bullet shot against a wall if the velocity v and mass m are given?

Physics news on Phys.org
pixel01 said:
How can I calculate the force of a bullet shot against a wall if the velocity v and mass m are given?

Force = mass x acceleration, right? If the bullet doesn't deform as it stops, then you just need to graph the deceleration versus time, and that will net you the force versus time with a little math.

Is this homework? If so I should move it to Homework Help, Intro Physics.

berkeman said:
Force = mass x acceleration, right? If the bullet doesn't deform as it stops, then you just need to graph the deceleration versus time, and that will net you the force versus time with a little math.

Is this homework? If so I should move it to Homework Help, Intro Physics.

This is not homework A similar scenario is how can I estimate the force of a hammer when you hit a nail into the wall.

No. You need to know many details about the wall, like the material, the structure, the density, and so on to make a calculation.

But why do you want to know the force? Force is not a very useful concept.
Actually, in advanced/modern physics, force is of little importance.

<< commercial website link removed by berkeman >>

Last edited by a moderator:
pixel01 said:
I think you'll need more information that just the initial momentum (P). If you had the time (t) taken for the bullet to come to rest you could treat it as a simple 1-D collision:

change in P = average force (F) * t

pixel01 said:
The mass and velocity only give you kinetic energy: E=m*v^2/2
The force is not yet determined, since it depends on the length of the path of deceleration. Let's say that a bullet does not deform itself and penetrates a distance of s into the wall. Then the force (averaged over the deceleration path) is F=E/s=m*v^2/(2s). A hard wall will stop the bullet faster (smaller s) and produce greater force. (however the force comes before acceleration, so it would be more consistent to say that a hard wall will act with a greater force and so stop the bullet faster).
If the wall is very hard (bullet deformation is comparable or larger than wall deformation), then one should take the wall penetration depth+bullet deformation for s (although the exact calculation would be more difficult, since this is no longer a rigid body movement).

For a nice simple answer, use the fact that force is the rate of change of momentum.

F=(mv-mu)/t

if you assume that the bullet stops immediately when it hits the wall, then its final velocity is 0. Therefore the force F=mv/t.

Although there might be a bit of difficulty in measuring t since the bullet stops almost instantaneously.

1. How do you calculate the force of a bullet shot against a wall?

To calculate the force of a bullet shot against a wall, you will need to know the velocity of the bullet (v) and its mass (m). The formula for calculating force is F = m x v, where F is force, m is mass, and v is velocity.

2. What units should be used when calculating the force of a bullet shot against a wall?

The units used for calculating force will depend on the units used for velocity and mass. If velocity is given in meters per second and mass is given in kilograms, then the resulting force will be in Newtons (N).

3. How does the velocity of the bullet affect the force against the wall?

The velocity of the bullet directly affects the force against the wall. The higher the velocity, the greater the force will be. This is because force is directly proportional to velocity in the formula F = m x v.

4. Can the mass of the bullet also affect the force against the wall?

Yes, the mass of the bullet also plays a role in determining the force against the wall. In the formula F = m x v, mass is a factor in determining the force. The higher the mass of the bullet, the greater the force will be.

5. Is the force of a bullet shot against a wall always the same?

No, the force of a bullet shot against a wall can vary depending on factors such as the velocity and mass of the bullet, as well as the type of material the wall is made of. Additionally, factors such as air resistance and angle of impact can also affect the force against the wall.