Spinning Top Equations of Motion

In summary, latentcorpse found expressions for the angular velocities w1,w2,w3 using matrices. Next, he needs to find expressions for tau 1 and 2 but the algebra gets messy. Finally, he has found an expression for the potential energy, V, and the lagrangian, L, but he is stuck on getting the term w3(dot) into the equation.
latentcorpse
ok so I've got the three components of the inertia tensor (A,A,C) and I've derived expression for, using matrices, the angular velocities w1,w2,w3 (these expressions can be found online if you don't already know them). anywho, what i need to do next is use the fact that torque = rate of change of angular momentum to derive equations for the three components of torque.
so, for example,

tau 3 = C*d/dt{w3}
this cancels out quite nicely and we get that tau 3 =0.

However, when trying to get expressions for tau 1 and 2 the algebra gets very messy.

Help!

sorry if this isn't clear enough but if you don't understand what i mean just post and i'll get back to you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

latentcorpse said:
However, when trying to get expressions for tau 1 and 2 the algebra gets very messy.

Hi latentcorpse! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Show us the expressions you got, so that we can help! :smile:

okay so I've got (w is omega):
angular velocities:

w1= theta(dot)*sin(psi) - phi(dot)*sin(theta)cos(psi)
w2= theta(dot)*cos(psi) - phi(dot)*sin(theta)sin(psi)
w3= psi(dot) + phi(dot)*cos(theta)

Then the kinetic energy,T, is
T= 1/2*I*w^2=1/2*(A*w1^2+A*w2^2+C*w3^2)
this expression simplifies when you square and add

the potential energy is V=Mgh*cos(theta)

and so the lagrangian is

L=T-V = 1/2*A*(phi(dot))^2 + 1/2*A*(phi(dot))^2*(sin(theta))^2 +
1/2*C*[psi(dot)+phi(dot)*cos(theta)]^2 - Mgh*cos(theta)

anyway it's definitely right to this point.

so now we do :
(*)
d/dt[dL/d(psi(dot))] - dL/d(psi) = 0

but dL/d(psi) = 0

so,

d/dt[dL/d(psi(dot))] =
C[psi(doubledot) + phi(doubledot)*cos(theta) - phi(dot)*theta(dot)*sin(theta)] = 0
Noting that the term inside the square brackets in the above line is actually w3(dot)
we get:

C*w3(dot) = 0

But tau = I*w(dot) where I is the moment of inertia

and so tau3 = 0

Now we need to do a similar processfrom the (*) onwards but for theta and phi and hopefully get somewhere but I keep getting stuck but my tutor assures me it should work. argh!
also sorry for writing it out longhand i haven't learned lateX yet.

1. What are spinning top equations of motion?

Spinning top equations of motion are mathematical equations that describe the motion of a spinning top. These equations are based on the principles of classical mechanics and are used to predict the behavior of a spinning top.

2. What factors affect the motion of a spinning top?

The motion of a spinning top is affected by various factors such as the mass, shape, and size of the top, the surface it is spinning on, and the initial spin velocity and direction.

3. How do spinning top equations of motion differ from regular equations of motion?

Spinning top equations of motion take into account the rotational motion of the top, which is not considered in regular equations of motion. They also involve additional variables such as moment of inertia and angular velocity.

4. How are spinning top equations of motion used in science?

Spinning top equations of motion are used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and robotics. They are used to study the behavior of spinning objects and can help in designing and controlling spinning top systems.

5. Are there any real-world applications of spinning top equations of motion?

Yes, spinning top equations of motion have practical applications in fields such as gyroscopic navigation, stability analysis of rotating systems, and understanding the dynamics of celestial bodies. They are also used in the design of spinning toys and games.