Troubleshooting Nichrome Wire for Cigarette Lighter

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of nickel/chromium resistance wire as a heating element, specifically with a 9V battery. The speaker is experiencing issues with the wire heating up quickly and then cooling down after a few seconds. They inquire about the possibility of the wire shorting the battery and the necessary equations to determine the proper voltage and amperage for heating the wire. It is determined that a standard 9V battery is too small for the application and the wire requires 1.5 amps to reach 400 F.
JamesIzzard
Hello all...
I have been having some trouble with some nickel/chromium resistance wire I have brought to act as a heating element, it is 0.375mm dia. and I am using 100mm lengths. I had originally intended to heat it up with a standard 9V battery, but it is behaving strangely when I connect it to the +ive & -ive terminals. It seems to heat up very quickly at first, as it should, and then stop heating and cool down after the first few seconds. It is definitely not flattening the battery, becuase if I wait a while and try again, the same thing happens.
Is this something to do with it shorting the battery, and is it even possible to heat wire like this with a 9V battery, ideally so it glows red. (I am trying to make a cigarrette lighter)
Apologies if this is a stupid question, electricity really is not my strong point :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

When you draw too much current from a battery it can create a depletion zone and the battery will act like it is dead.
Disconnected, new carriers can migrate to the chemical interface and the battery will recover.
In general, this greatly shortens the usable life of the battery.

A standard 9V battery is far to small for your application.
The max output is about 50ma to achieve rated lifetime.

Ahh Ok right, that sounds like exactly what has been happening.
In terms of heat output of the nichrome wire then, is the current or the voltage more relevant, and why, and also I don't know where to start looking for equations to help me work out the nescessary voltages/amps needed to heat the wire to the nescessary temperature, could anybody point me in the right direction.
Sorry about asking for what I am sure is basic knowledge, I am more in the field of force mechanics, and am pretty new to electricity.

E=IR.
Or Voltage = Current times Resistance.
As you can see from that, all the values are related.

Power dissipated in the wire heats it.
P=EI.

According to this table: http://www.wiretron.com/nicrdat.html [Broken]
Your wire requires almost 1.5 amps to reach 400 F.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I know if my nichrome wire is working?

The easiest way to check if your nichrome wire is working is by visually inspecting it. If the wire appears to be intact and not broken, it is likely working. You can also use a multimeter to measure the resistance of the wire. If you get a reading of 0 ohms, the wire is functioning properly.

2. Why does my cigarette lighter stop working after a few uses?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that the nichrome wire has become worn or stretched out, causing it to not produce enough heat to ignite the cigarette. Another possibility is that the lighter mechanism itself has become clogged with debris or is malfunctioning. It is also possible that the lighter's fuel supply is low or depleted. Try replacing the nichrome wire or cleaning the lighter mechanism to see if that solves the issue.

3. Can I replace the nichrome wire in my cigarette lighter?

Yes, the nichrome wire in a cigarette lighter can be replaced. However, it is important to use the correct type and gauge of nichrome wire for the specific lighter model. If you are not familiar with replacing nichrome wire, it is recommended to have it done by a professional or to consult the manufacturer's instructions.

4. How can I prevent my nichrome wire from breaking?

To prevent your nichrome wire from breaking, it is important to handle it with care. Avoid bending or stretching the wire too much, as this can weaken it and cause it to break. It is also important to clean the lighter mechanism regularly to prevent debris from getting stuck and potentially damaging the wire. If your lighter has a protective cover, make sure to use it when not in use to protect the wire.

5. Can I adjust the heat produced by my cigarette lighter?

Some cigarette lighters allow for heat adjustment by adjusting the position of the nichrome wire. However, this is not a common feature in most lighters. If you are experiencing issues with the heat produced by your lighter, it is best to replace the nichrome wire or have it checked by a professional.