Single phase ac motor on dc supply?

In summary, the speaker has a single phase AC motor that runs on 110V and wants to run it on a 12V DC source for a transfer pump used in a school bus that runs on vegetable oil. They currently have to find an outlet to plug the pump into, but would prefer to hook it up directly to the bus battery. They have a 5000 watt inverter that cannot handle the load from the pump, despite having fully charged batteries and the bus running the alternator for extra power. The speaker is considering hooking the batteries directly to the motor, but is unsure if the motor can take both AC and DC inputs. Another possibility is that the initial kick of the AC motor is overloading the inverter.
xkeithx
ive got a single phase ac motor that runs on 110V and i'd like to run it on a 12v dc source. basically its a transfer pump for a school bus that runs on vegetable oil, and we currently have to find an outlet to plug the pump into every time we go behind restaurants to fill up our tank. id like to just hook it up to the bus battery but don't know exactly how to do so. we have a 5000 watt inverter which oddly doesn't work, it can't handle the draw from the pump. there are six 12v batteries wired in parallel that the inverter is hooked up to but of course i'd prefer to just wire those batteries somehow directly to the pump. there is more info on the pump here http://transfer.tuthill.com/Products/OilPumps/LTKoilmore.asp [Broken] and LP50P36Q115 is the model number. any thoughts? thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I bet the batteries in your inverter are bad. It should be able to handle your load (115v at 12amp).

you're right, it should. but for some reason it doesn't. the batteries were fully charged, and i even had the bus running the alternator to provide extra power. i think the 5000w rating on the inverter may be a peak output rating and not a constant output. in any case, I'm wondering if there's a way to just hook the batteries directly to the motor. I am almost 100 percent sure its a single phase ac motor but i haven't taken it apart or anything so i don't know if it may be the type that can take both ac and dc inputs.

Just an idea, but maybe the huge initial 'kick' that an AC motor requires when it first starts is overloading the inverter.

You're not going to be able to run your AC motor with a DC source. Either get a pump that is powered by a 12v source or get a new inverter. Eventhough your batteries in your existing inverter appear to be good (you say fully charged) you can't really know until you put each one to a load test. I still say your batteries are bad (maybe just one or two leading to a overall decrease in current capability). You should take each one out of the circuit and take it to someone who knows how to load test them, if you don't have a tester yourself.

1. What is a single phase AC motor on DC supply?

A single phase AC motor on DC supply is a type of electric motor that is designed to operate on a direct current (DC) power supply, even though it is typically used for alternating current (AC) power. This is achieved by using a special type of winding configuration that allows the motor to run on a DC supply without any additional components.

2. How does a single phase AC motor on DC supply work?

The motor works by using a split-phase design, which creates a rotating magnetic field in the stator. This field interacts with the permanent magnets in the rotor, causing it to rotate. The direction of rotation can be controlled by changing the polarity of the DC supply.

3. What are the advantages of using a single phase AC motor on DC supply?

One advantage is that these motors are more efficient than traditional DC motors. They also have a simpler design, making them more cost-effective to manufacture. Additionally, they can be used in applications where both AC and DC power are available, providing more flexibility.

4. What are the limitations of a single phase AC motor on DC supply?

One limitation is that the torque produced by these motors is lower compared to a traditional DC motor. They also have a limited speed range and may not be suitable for high-speed applications. Additionally, they may experience more wear and tear due to the interaction between the rotating magnetic field and permanent magnets in the rotor.

5. Where are single phase AC motors on DC supply commonly used?

These motors are commonly used in small appliances, such as fans, blowers, and pumps. They are also used in household appliances like refrigerators and washing machines. In addition, they are found in various industrial and commercial applications, such as conveyor systems, compressors, and pumps.