Calculate Force Exerted by Wood on Bullet

In summary: AZING! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!In summary, a .706 N force is exerted on a bullet when it is embedded in wood.
PhysicslyDSBL

Homework Statement

A bullet of mass 0.0022 kg initially moving at 504 m/s embeds itself in a large fixed piece of wood and travels 0.72 m before coming to rest. Assume that the acceleration of the bullet is constant.

What force is exerted by the wood on the bullet?

F=N

Homework Equations

Ok, so I need to find acceleration to plug into the equation for force, which is F=m*a. The equation I am using is x=x0 + v0*t + .5*a*t^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

x=x0 + v0*t + .5*a*t^2 so this equation need to be set to solve for a. This is what I am plugging in:

x0 = 0
v0 = 504
t = 0.0014 (from d/s = t)

My answer is a = 0.706

The equation vf^2 = v0^2 + 2a (delta x), and set to solve for a but I am a bit confused about delta x? In this equation, vf = 0.72 and v0 = 504

I am either having trouble setting up the first equation for a, or I am using the wrong one in which case, I am not sure by what is meant by delta x in the second. Some direction is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
It was looking good, but you said this:

"x0 = 0
v0 = 504
t = 0.0014 (from d/s = t)"

This assumes constant velocity, which it's not.

You have to use this formula instead : [tex] v^2 = u^2 + 2as [/tex] where v = final velocity
u = initial velocity
a = acceleration
s = displacement.

Solve for acceleration, then multiply by mass.

PhysicslyDSBL said:
x=x0 + v0*t + .5*a*t^2 so this equation need to be set to solve for a. This is what I am plugging in:

x0 = 0
v0 = 504
t = 0.0014 (from d/s = t)

My answer is a = 0.706
You could use this method if you found the right time. To find the time you need to use the average speed, not the initial speed.

The equation vf^2 = v0^2 + 2a (delta x), and set to solve for a but I am a bit confused about delta x? In this equation, vf = 0.72 and v0 = 504
This equation is a better choice, but 0.72m is the distance (Δx) not the final speed. (The final speed is zero, of course.)

Thanks for the help!

I got the correct answer of 388.08 N by taking the equation v^2=u^2 + 2as and solving for a and then multiplying by mass. Both of your suggestions were very helpful in helping me to understand these concepts better!

:smile:

PhysicslyDSBL said:
Thanks for the help!

I got the correct answer of 388.08 N by taking the equation v^2=u^2 + 2as and solving for a and then multiplying by mass. Both of your suggestions were very helpful in helping me to understand these concepts better!

:smile:
It often is helpful in this kind of problem to use a graph. A graph of speed vs. time makes it very easy. The slope is the acceleration (constant -) and the distance is the area under the graph.

AM

What is the formula for calculating force exerted by wood on a bullet?

The formula for calculating force exerted by wood on a bullet is Force = Mass x Acceleration.

How do you determine the mass of the bullet and the wood?

The mass of the bullet can be determined by using a scale or by looking up the mass of the specific type of bullet. The mass of the wood can be determined by using a scale or by calculating the volume of the wood and multiplying it by its density.

How do you calculate the acceleration of the bullet?

The acceleration of the bullet can be calculated by using the formula Acceleration = (Final Velocity - Initial Velocity) / Time. The final velocity can be determined by measuring the distance traveled by the bullet and the time it took to travel that distance. The initial velocity is usually assumed to be zero for a stationary bullet.

Are there any other factors that can affect the force exerted by wood on a bullet?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect the force exerted by wood on a bullet, such as the type and density of the wood, the shape and mass of the bullet, the angle of impact, and the distance the bullet travels through the wood.

Is there a limit to the force that wood can exert on a bullet?

Yes, there is a limit to the force that wood can exert on a bullet. This limit is determined by the strength of the wood and the amount of force it can withstand before breaking. If the force exerted by the wood exceeds this limit, the wood will break and the bullet will continue to travel with its remaining force.