Understanding Srednicki's 7.14-7.16 Equations: G(t-t') and the RHS of f(t)

• Thread starter koolmodee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Srednicki
In summary, the functional derivative on the right-hand side of (7.16) does not act on anything, and so the second line of the equation is not valid.
koolmodee
[tex]\int[/tex]dt' G(t-t') f(t') = 1/i [tex]\delta[/tex]/[tex]\delta[/tex]f(t)

where G(t-t') = i/ 2w exp (iw (t-t'))

I thought the RHS of the first equation is f(t). Can someone explain?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
koolmodee said:
[itex]\int[/itex]dt' G(t-t') f(t') = 1/i [tex]\delta[/tex]/[tex]\delta[/tex]f(t)
This doesn't make sense, and I'm not sure where you got it. Something like it that is correct and that is used to get the 2nd line of (7.16) is

[tex]{1\over i}{\delta\over\delta f(t_1)}\left[{i\over2}\int dt\,dt'\,f(t)G(t-t')f(t')\right] = \int dt'\,G(t_1 -t')f(t').[/tex]

Well, I thought what I write was implied in the equations in the Srednicki book.

But then I don't see how we get from the first line two the second in 7.16. with your equation.

Is the term in the brackets equal to one? And you mean t_2 instead of t_1, right?

koolmodee said:
Well, I thought what I write was implied in the equations in the Srednicki book.

What you wrote does not make sense. The functional derivative on your right-hand is not acting on anything.

koolmodee said:
But then I don't see how we get from the first line two the second in 7.16. with your equation.

Let

[tex]Z(f)=\langle 0|0\rangle_f[/tex]

From 7.11,

[tex]Z(f)=\exp K(f)[/tex]

where

[tex]K(f)={i\over 2}\int dt\,dt'\,f(t)G(t-t')f(t')[/tex]

By the chain rule,

[tex]{\delta\over\delta f(t_2)}Z(f)={dZ\over dK}\;{\delta\over\delta f(t_2)}K(f)[/tex]

and since [tex]Z=\exp K[/tex], [tex]dZ/dK = \exp K = Z[/tex]. Now we use

[tex]{1\over i}\,{\delta K(f)\over\delta f(t_2)}=
{1\over i}\,{i\over 2}\int dt\,dt'\left[\left({\delta f(t)\over\delta f(t_2)}\right)G(t-t')f(t')+f(t)G(t-t')\left({\delta f(t')\over\delta f(t_2)}\right)\right][/tex]

[tex]{}\qquad\qquad={1\over 2}\int dt\,dt'\Bigl[\delta(t-t_2)G(t-t')f(t')+f(t)G(t-t')\delta(t'-t_2)\Bigr][/tex]

[tex]{}={1\over 2}\int dt'\,G(t_2-t')f(t')+{1\over 2}\int dt\,f(t)G(t-t_2)[/tex]

[tex]{}=\int dt'\,G(t_2-t')f(t')[/tex]

where, to get the last line, we use [tex]G(t-t_2)=G(t_2-t)[/tex], and change the dummy integration variable in the 2nd term from [tex]t[/tex] to [tex]t'[/tex], so that it is then the same as the first term.

thank you!

1. What is the significance of "Srednicki 7.14 ND 7.16"?

"Srednicki 7.14 ND 7.16" refers to two chapters in the textbook "Quantum Field Theory" written by Mark Srednicki. These chapters cover the topics of path integrals and Feynman rules, which are important concepts in quantum field theory.

2. Who is Mark Srednicki?

Mark Srednicki is a theoretical physicist and professor at the University of California, Santa Barbara. He is known for his contributions to particle physics and cosmology, as well as his work in quantum field theory.

3. What is quantum field theory?

Quantum field theory is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. It combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to explain the interactions between particles and fields.

4. Why are path integrals and Feynman rules important in quantum field theory?

Path integrals and Feynman rules are important tools in quantum field theory because they allow for the calculation of amplitudes, which describe the likelihood of different particle interactions. These calculations are necessary for predicting the behavior of particles in a quantum field theory system.

5. What is the difference between "Srednicki 7.14" and "Srednicki 7.16"?

The numbers 7.14 and 7.16 refer to the chapter numbers in Mark Srednicki's textbook. Chapter 7.14 covers path integrals, while chapter 7.16 covers Feynman rules. Both are important concepts in quantum field theory, but they each cover different aspects of the theory.