Gradient Field/ Line integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a line integral involving a gradient field and a curve on a level surface of a function. The question is asking for the value of the line integral, and it is determined to be 0 due to a conservative force. The confusion arises from the interpretation of S as a level surface of a gradient field, but it is clarified that S is actually a level surface of the function f.
Damascus Road
Greetings,
I'm having trouble deciding what to do, and in what order for this question:

Suppose F = F( x, y, z ) is a gradient field with F = [tex]\nabla[/tex]f, S is a level surface of f, and C is a curve on S. What is the value of the line integral (over C) of F.dr ?

I think I'm a little confused since there are no values to work with... I'm assuming the level surface of f is referring to [tex]\nabla[/tex]f, meaning that S is a surface of the gradients?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm mighty confused. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
They mean that C is contained in a level surface of f. I.e. f(c) is constant for c in C. Dotting grad(f) with a direction vector tells you how fast f is changing in that direction, doesn't it?

Ok, someone just explained to me that it is 0, since it's a conservative force.

I was having trouble interpreting S being a level surface of a gradient field, I'm still trying to figure that part out.

S is NOT a level surface of the gradient, it's a level surface of f. That's what the question SAID. And there's an even easier reason to say that it's zero (and it's zero even if C isn't closed). What the dot of the gradient vector and the tangent vector to C?

1. What is a gradient field?

A gradient field is a vector field that represents the rate and direction of change of a scalar function at every point in space. It is a visual representation of the gradient of a scalar function.

2. How is a gradient field calculated?

A gradient field is calculated using partial derivatives of the scalar function with respect to each variable in the field. The resulting vector at any point is perpendicular to the level curves of the scalar function at that point.

3. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral that calculates the sum of a scalar or vector field along a curve or path in the field. It is used to determine the work done or the amount of a quantity flowing through the field along the given curve.

4. How is a line integral of a gradient field calculated?

The line integral of a gradient field is calculated by integrating the dot product of the gradient field and the tangent vector of the curve along which the integral is being evaluated. This results in a single value that represents the total change of the scalar function along the given curve.

5. What are some real-world applications of gradient field and line integral?

Gradient fields and line integrals are used extensively in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. Some examples include calculating the electric potential of a charged particle, determining the flow of fluid through a pipe, and evaluating the work done by a force over a distance. They are also used in data analysis, such as in calculating the rate of change of a stock price over time.