Help me to figure out how this equation is derived

• Thread starter physiker99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, to derive an equation, it is important to understand the basic principles and concepts involved and identify the relevant equations and relationships. Understanding the variables and constants in an equation is crucial in the derivation process to determine the appropriate mathematical operations. The correctness of a derived equation can be checked by plugging in known values and comparing it to similar equations. Some common mistakes to avoid include using incorrect operations and not considering all relevant equations. Tips for making the process easier include breaking down the problem into smaller steps and practicing common mathematical operations and relationships.
physiker99
Hello, I just couldn't understand how solver comes up with the equation at line 5 of the part b. (equates t (time) to other variables). I think the first 4 lines are enough to figure out this equation so i am not posting the question. i will be grateful if you'd help me.http://www.cramster.com/Answer-Board/Image/200863929416334808218196100003057.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
He uses [tex]R\omega=at[/tex] (line 3) in line 2, and solves for t.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance. In order to understand how the equation is derived, it is important to understand the context and purpose of the equation. From the provided image, it appears that the equation is being used to calculate the distance traveled by an object given its initial velocity and acceleration over a certain period of time.

The equation shown in line 5, d = v0t + 1/2at^2, is known as the displacement formula and is derived from the basic equations of motion in kinematics. It is a combination of the equations for velocity (v = v0 + at) and acceleration (a = (v-v0)/t), where v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

The first four lines of the problem provide the necessary information to solve for the displacement using this formula. The initial velocity (v0) is given as 20 meters per second and the acceleration (a) is given as -5 meters per second squared (note the negative sign indicates that the object is decelerating). The time (t) is also given as 4 seconds.

By substituting these values into the displacement formula, we get d = (20)(4) + 1/2(-5)(4)^2 = 80 - 40 = 40 meters. This means that the object traveled a distance of 40 meters over the 4 second time period.

I hope this explanation helps you understand how the equation was derived. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your studies!

1. How do you begin to derive an equation?

To derive an equation, you must first understand the basic principles and concepts that apply to the problem. This will help you determine the relevant equations and relationships that need to be used in the derivation process.

2. What is the importance of understanding the variables and constants in an equation?

Understanding the variables and constants in an equation is crucial in the derivation process because it allows you to identify which quantities are known and which need to be solved for. This will help you determine the appropriate mathematical operations and steps to take in the derivation.

3. How can I check if my derived equation is correct?

You can check the correctness of your derived equation by plugging in known values for the variables and constants and seeing if the resulting equation holds true. You can also compare it to similar equations and see if they have the same form and behavior.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when deriving an equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when deriving an equation include using incorrect mathematical operations, neglecting certain terms or factors, and not considering all relevant equations and relationships. It is important to double check your work and make sure all steps are logical and consistent.

5. Are there any tips for making the derivation process easier?

One tip for making the derivation process easier is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps. This will help you identify the key concepts and equations needed for each step. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with common mathematical operations and relationships to make the process smoother.