Photons - most energetic ever detected

• Thread starter Koilon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary: Yes, that is my understanding. See the link given by Dimitry67 in the first reply to this thread. That was the source of my information about the Oh-My-God particle.
Koilon
Does anyone know how energetic the most energetic photons ever detected from a natural source were and what their source was?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out this link to a paper that discusses the Pierre Auger Observatory searching for UHE photons. They discuss detecting photon events at about 2.2 EeV. (1 EeV = 10^18 eV).

Here is the link: http://www.auger.org/technical_info/pdfs/icrc2007/icrc602.pdf

I do not know if these are the most energetic photons detected or not.

Norman said:
Check out this link to a paper that discusses the Pierre Auger Observatory searching for UHE photons. They discuss detecting photon events at about 2.2 EeV. (1 EeV = 10^18 eV).

Here is the link: http://www.auger.org/technical_info/pdfs/icrc2007/icrc602.pdf

I do not know if these are the most energetic photons detected or not.

I would have to question your interpretation of this very interesting article you cited. In citing the figure 2.2 EeV, I think you must be referring to Figure 3 therein, but the scale there is Log(Energy/EeV) - not Energy/EeV and the anti-Log of 2.2 would give an energy of about 158 EeV for the most energetic photons that this work detected. This is same order of magnitude as the energy of the 300 EeV Oh-My-God particle detected on October 15, 1991, over Dugway Proving Grounds, Utah - and 15 similar events detected since. So, considering that the text of the paper paper is focused on photons with energies above 10, 20 and 40 EeV, I think they obviously detected photons much more energetic than 2.2 EeV.

Koilon said:
I would have to question your interpretation of this very interesting article you cited. In citing the figure 2.2 EeV, I think you must be referring to Figure 3 therein, but the scale there is Log(Energy/EeV) - not Energy/EeV and the anti-Log of 2.2 would give an energy of about 158 EeV for the most energetic photons that this work detected. This is same order of magnitude as the energy of the 300 EeV Oh-My-God particle detected on October 15, 1991, over Dugway Proving Grounds, Utah - and 15 similar events detected since. So, considering that the text of the paper paper is focused on photons with energies above 10, 20 and 40 EeV, I think they obviously detected photons much more energetic than 2.2 EeV.

Ah, yes. Rightfully so. Sorry was a quick glance after searching the Auger site for photon articles. I had a recent discussion with one of the Auger scientists, so I checked their site first.

And correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the 1991 event thought to be a charged particle? I understand particle identification at these energies is very difficult, but I seem to remember that at the time (and as recently as a few years ago when I heard some talks from the Fly's Eye collab.) that they were thinking it was a positively charged particle.

Norman said:
And correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the 1991 event thought to be a charged particle? I understand particle identification at these energies is very difficult, but I seem to remember that at the time (and as recently as a few years ago when I heard some talks from the Fly's Eye collab.) that they were thinking it was a positively charged particle.

Yes, that is my understanding. See the link given by Dimitry67 in the first reply to this thread. That was the source of my information about the Oh-My-God particle. I didn't mean to imply that it was a photon - merely that the energy of the most energetic photons observed in your citation was comparable.

I think the results of Pierre Auger are misinterpreted here. If you look at Figure 4 of the cited paper, the result of search is only an upper limit on the photon flux. The conslusion of the paper is strong limit on the photon flux with 0 photon candidate events (as stated in conclusion). Presently no photons with energies >~1 EeV are observed in any of the experiments (all detected particles of these energies are assummed to be protons or nuclei). Therefore the highest energetic photons come from gamma-astronomy and have energy of the order of hundreds TeV.

What are Photons and why are they important in science?

Photons are particles of electromagnetic radiation that carry energy and momentum. They are important in science because they are the fundamental unit of light and play a crucial role in many physical phenomena, such as photosynthesis and vision.

How are Photons detected and measured in experiments?

Photons can be detected and measured using specialized instruments such as photomultiplier tubes, charge-coupled devices (CCDs), and photodiodes. These instruments detect the energy and position of individual photons and convert them into an electrical signal that can be analyzed by scientists.

What is the most energetic Photon ever detected?

The most energetic Photon ever detected was observed by the High Energy Stereoscopic System (HESS) in 2018. It had an energy of 100 TeV (tera-electron volts), which is equivalent to the energy of an entire bowling ball traveling at 100 kilometers per hour.

How are Photons used in medical imaging?

Photons are used in medical imaging techniques such as X-rays, CT scans, and PET scans. These techniques use high-energy photons to create images of the inside of the body, allowing doctors to diagnose and treat various medical conditions.

Can Photons be used as a source of renewable energy?

Yes, Photons can be used as a source of renewable energy through solar panels. Solar panels use Photons from sunlight to create electricity, which can be used to power homes and businesses. This is a clean and sustainable way to generate energy without depleting natural resources.