How much energy can be generated from a 1000kg weight using a hydraulic system?

In summary: So, in summary, hydraulic-electricity is similar to hydro-electricity in that it uses the energy of gravity to power a generator. However, the acceleration of the object is controlled by a pressure cap, which allows for a more controllable speed and more power generation.
johnjz
I have 1000kg of weight (it can be a heavy brick) suspended on a platform which I can lower (say 1 meter) and drive a hydraulic piston. A hydraulic accumulator will store the hydraulic liquid. The accumulator can then drive on-demand a hydraulic pump into a rotary motion and drive a generator.

How much electricity can we generate with 1 stroke? 1 kW or ?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
A kW is power, not energy. kWh is energy. mgh is also energy. So 1000 kg * 1m * 9.8m/s/s = 9800 joules. A watt is 1 joule per second, so that's 9800/3600/1000=0.027 kWh.

Thank you very much for answering, but I am a bit disappointed, not much energy or power.

I Googled 9.8 m/s/s, and got "A free-falling object has an acceleration of 9.8 m/s/s, downward (on Earth)." which would apply to falling water and hydro-electricity but does that also apply to hydraulic-electricity?

1000 kg is pushing on a piston, which is "let go" so in a sense it is free-falling, but it's not moving very fast... and the speed is controllable via a pressure cap, which might control a force of liquid to drive a generator.

PS. If I divide 9800 by 3600 by 1000, I get = 0.0027 which is even a more miserable result :)

Last edited:
johnjz said:
Thank you very much for answering, but I am a bit disappointed, not much energy or power.

PS. If I divide 9800 by 3600 by 1000, I get = 0.0027 which is even a more miserable result :)
Yep - it was a first-thing-in-the-morning typo. Your result is correct.

Really gives you an appreciation for how much energy/power is required to run a light bulb (or a car!), doesn't it!
I Googled 9.8 m/s/s, and got "A free-falling object has an acceleration of 9.8 m/s/s, downward (on Earth)." which would apply to falling water and hydro-electricity but does that also apply to hydraulic-electricity?
9.8m/s/s, aka, "g", is the acceleration of an object due to gravity at the surface of the earth. If you plug that value into f=ma (substitute g for a), you get the force required to hold an object still against gravity (f=mg), aka, the weight of the object. Since the work equation is w=fd, inserting the weight equation into it and using height as the distance gives w=mgh. This is the equation for gravitational potential energy. There are lots of different ways to convert it to other forms of energy, but the important thing is that energy is conserved, so w=fd tells you the total energy available for conversion.

1. How does hydraulic to electricity conversion work?

Hydraulic to electricity conversion involves using a hydraulic system, which uses pressurized fluid to do work, to power an electric generator. The pressurized fluid is typically water or oil, and it is used to turn a turbine connected to the generator, which then converts the mechanical energy into electrical energy.

2. What are the advantages of using hydraulic to electricity conversion?

There are several advantages to using hydraulic to electricity conversion. Firstly, it is a renewable energy source as the pressurized fluid can be constantly replenished. Additionally, it is a clean energy source as it does not produce any emissions. It also has a high efficiency rate, meaning it is able to convert a large amount of energy into electricity.

3. What are the main components of a hydraulic to electricity conversion system?

The main components of a hydraulic to electricity conversion system include a hydraulic pump, hydraulic motor, turbine, electric generator, and control valves. The hydraulic pump pressurizes the fluid, which then flows through the motor and turns the turbine. The turbine is connected to the electric generator, which converts the mechanical energy into electrical energy. The control valves help regulate the flow of the fluid to ensure efficient operation.

4. Is hydraulic to electricity conversion used in any real-life applications?

Yes, hydraulic to electricity conversion is used in various real-life applications. One common application is in hydroelectric power plants, where large amounts of water are used to turn turbines and generate electricity. It is also used in some vehicles, such as hybrid cars, to convert the energy from braking into electricity to charge the battery.

5. Are there any limitations to using hydraulic to electricity conversion?

One limitation of hydraulic to electricity conversion is that it requires a constant source of pressurized fluid, which may not always be available. It also relies on the force of gravity to generate the pressure, so it may not be suitable for all locations. Additionally, the initial cost of setting up a hydraulic to electricity conversion system can be quite high, but it can be cost-effective in the long run due to its efficiency and renewable nature.