Number of protons in a 5g orbital

In summary, using the n+l rule, the atom needs 121 protons in order to have an electron configuration with one electron in a 5g orbital. This corresponds to an electron configuration with all orbitals before 5g + 1 = 121, starting with the 8s orbital. This follows the Aufbau principle, which states that electrons fill orbitals in order of increasing energy levels.
Razael

Homework Statement

Using a strict interpretation of the n+l rule, how many protons would an atom need to create a ground state electron configuration with one electron in a 5g orbital? Give electron configuration.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

g is an l value of 4, 4+5 = 9. So 5g is filled after other orbitals with n+l's lower than 9, or equal but with higher n values.

This puts 5g after 9s, does it not? I have no clue what to do from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Atom is neutral - that means charge of electrons and charge of nucleus cancel out, they are identical (just one is positive, other negative).

The answer (which is given) is 121 protons. Since the atom is neutral, there'd also be 121 electron, so I'd look for an electron configuration where all orbitals before 5g + 1 = 121.

I don't know what 5g comes after though.

Okay, added up all electrons up to and including 8s and got 120. Adding one for 5g gives me 121.

I still don't understand why it has to be preceded by 8s though. Why not, say, 6d?

1. How many protons are in a 5g orbital?

The 5g orbital can hold up to 10 electrons, but the number of protons in an orbital is equal to the atomic number of the element. Therefore, the number of protons in a 5g orbital can vary depending on the element. For example, a 5g orbital in a carbon atom would have 6 protons, while a 5g orbital in a uranium atom would have 92 protons.

2. Is the number of protons in a 5g orbital always the same?

No, the number of protons in a 5g orbital can vary depending on the element. The atomic number of an element determines the number of protons in an atom, and different elements have different atomic numbers.

3. How does the number of protons in a 5g orbital relate to the element's position on the periodic table?

The number of protons in an element's 5g orbital is directly related to the element's atomic number, which increases as you move across the periodic table from left to right. This means that elements with higher atomic numbers will have more protons in their 5g orbital.

4. Can the number of protons in a 5g orbital change?

No, the number of protons in an orbital is determined by the element's atomic number, which does not change. However, the number of electrons in an orbital can change, as atoms can gain or lose electrons to become ions.

5. How does the number of protons in a 5g orbital affect an element's properties?

The number of protons in an element's 5g orbital is one of the factors that determine the element's chemical properties. Each element has a unique number of protons, which affects the way it interacts with other elements and molecules. The number of protons also determines the element's place on the periodic table, which can give insights into its physical and chemical properties.