Integrating a function in infinite space / sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of the function exp(-3(sqrt(x**2 + z**2 + y**2))) over infinite space using spherical coordinates. The conversation raises concerns about the limits of the integral and the transformation of coordinates. The final solution is an integral of (p**2)(exp(-3p))sin(phi)dpdphidtheta, with the limits being the total range of each spherical coordinate. The conversation also addresses concerns about the size of the sphere and reassures that the integration is over all of space.
brollysan

Homework Statement

Integrate exp(-3(sqrt(x**2 + z**2 + y**2))) over infinite space [-inf, inf] on xyz

Well transforming to spherical coordinates leaves me with the equation at 3.attempts at a..()
but here is my problem, how can you equate an integral over an infinite space to a spherical integral? An infinitely big sphere has at most an infinite diameter, where is the guarantee that your function doesn't land outside the sphere? Am I not getting something fundamental or does this seem like a paradox? A sphere inside a cube will never contain all the points of the cube, does the transformation of coordinates warp all points of xyz into a sphere? Then we have the problem of sphere inside the cube again..

The limits of the new integral will be? 0,2pi for the angels and 0, inf for p? But how can that be right, a point from the centre of the sphere to its surface has length of r which is d/2 = inf/2 ??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Arrived at 3x- integral: (p**2)(exp(-3p))sin(phi)dpdphidtheta but not sure where the limits should go

Physics news on Phys.org
brollysan said:
Arrived at 3x- integral: (p**2)(exp(-3p))sin(phi)dpdphidtheta but not sure where the limits should go

The integral part looks ok. I'm not sure what the '3x-' part is supposed to be. And sure, you are integrating over ALL space. So the limits are the total range of each spherical coordinate. Which means both angles don't go 0 to 2pi. Only one does. Review spherical coordinates if you are unsure. And I would stop fretting about big spheres. As I said, you are integrating over all of space. Any 'sphere' will fit in there, if that makes you feel better.

1. What is the concept of integrating a function in infinite space/sphere?

Integrating a function in infinite space/sphere refers to the process of finding the total value of a function over an infinite space or sphere. This involves summing the function's values at every point within the space/sphere.

2. How is the integration of a function in infinite space/sphere different from traditional integration?

The main difference is that the boundaries of integration are infinite instead of finite. This means that the integration must be done using specialized techniques, such as improper integrals or spherical coordinates.

3. What are the applications of integrating a function in infinite space/sphere?

Integrating a function in infinite space/sphere is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate quantities such as gravitational and electric fields, as well as in probability and statistics to find the total probability of an event occurring.

4. Can any function be integrated in infinite space/sphere?

Most functions can be integrated in infinite space/sphere, as long as they meet certain criteria such as convergence and smoothness. However, some functions may require more advanced techniques or may not be integrable at all.

5. How do you approach the integration of a function in infinite space/sphere?

The approach to integrating a function in infinite space/sphere depends on the specific function and the shape of the space/sphere. Some common techniques include using symmetry to simplify the integral, utilizing appropriate coordinate systems, and breaking the integral into smaller, more manageable parts.