The velocity of electron near speed of light?

In summary: So, the distance traveled will be:x(t)=c^2/a*(sqrt(1+(at/c)^2)-1)In summary, the conversation discusses the formulas for momentum and Newton's second law of motion for an electron near the speed of light. The solution for v(t) and the distance traveled by the electron over time are also discussed, with the conclusion that v approaches c as time goes to infinity. Integration is involved in finding these solutions.
randybryan
This isn't a homework question, simply one I found in a book that I'm trying to do:

momentum p, of electron at speed v near speed of light increases according to formula

p = [tex]\frac{mv}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}}[/tex]

if an electron is subject to constant force F, Newton's second law of describing motion is

[tex]\frac{dp}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{d}{dt}[/tex] [tex]\frac{mv}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}}[/tex] = F

This all makes sense to me. It then says, find v(t) and show that v --> c as t --> infinity. Find the distance traveled by the electron in time t if it starts from rest.

Now I could get an expression for v by using the first formula, but I don't understand how I can show that v -->c as t --> infinity as t isn't in the equation. I haven't even attempted the second part, but I'm assuming some integration is involved

Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you want to do to find v(t) is to solve the differential equation:
[tex]
F = \frac{d}{dt} \left( m v(t) \gamma (t)\right)
[/tex]
for v(t).
Now, you can differentiate the product to get
[tex]
F = m a(t) \gamma (t) + m v(t) \left( \frac{v(t)a(t)}{c^2}\gamma^3(t)\right)=m a(t) (\gamma + \beta ^2(t)\gamma ^3(t)), ~~~~ \beta=\frac{v(t)}{c}
[/tex]
Now, solving this (I used Maple) and imposing the condition v(0)=0, one gets the expression
[tex]
v(t)=\frac{Fct}{\sqrt{F^2 t^2 + c^2 m^2}}
[/tex]
As you can see, v approaches c a time goes to infinity.
The expression is easily (with some computer) integrated to give you an expression for the distance traveled over time:
[tex]
d(t)=\frac{c}{F} \sqrt{t^2F^2+c^2m^2}
[/tex]

Last edited:
randybryan said:
This isn't a homework question, simply one I found in a book that I'm trying to do:

momentum p, of electron at speed v near speed of light increases according to formula

p = [tex]\frac{mv}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}}[/tex]

if an electron is subject to constant force F, Newton's second law of describing motion is

[tex]\frac{dp}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{d}{dt}[/tex] [tex]\frac{mv}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}}[/tex] = F

This all makes sense to me. It then says, find v(t) and show that v --> c as t --> infinity. Find the distance traveled by the electron in time t if it starts from rest.

Now I could get an expression for v by using the first formula, but I don't understand how I can show that v -->c as t --> infinity as t isn't in the equation. I haven't even attempted the second part, but I'm assuming some integration is involved

Can anyone help?

F=m*d/dt(v/sqrt(1-(v/c)^2)

so,

F/m=d/dt(v/sqrt(1-(v/c)^2)

Since F/m is constant, the above becomes a very simple differential equation with the solution:

v=at/sqrt(1+(at/c)^2)

For at<<c, you recover the Newtonian equation v=at

If you integrate one more time, you will get x as a function of a and t. Indeed:

dx/dt=at/sqrt(1+(at/c)^2)

x(t)=c^2/a*(sqrt(1+(at/c)^2)-1)

Again, for at<<c, you recover the Newtonian formula x(t)=at^2/2

1. What is the velocity of an electron near the speed of light?

The velocity of an electron near the speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is also known as the speed of light in a vacuum, denoted by the symbol c.

2. How does the velocity of an electron near the speed of light impact its behavior?

When an electron approaches the speed of light, it exhibits behaviors such as time dilation and length contraction. This means that time appears to slow down for the electron and its length appears to decrease from an observer's perspective.

3. What is the significance of the electron's velocity near the speed of light?

The velocity of an electron near the speed of light is significant because it is a fundamental constant in the universe. It plays a crucial role in the theory of relativity and has implications for the behavior of matter and energy.

4. Can an electron ever reach the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, an electron with mass cannot reach the speed of light because it would require an infinite amount of energy. However, massless particles such as photons can travel at the speed of light.

5. How is the velocity of an electron near the speed of light measured?

The velocity of an electron near the speed of light can be measured using particle accelerators and other high-energy experiments. It can also be calculated using mathematical equations and theoretical models based on the theory of relativity.