How Long Does It Take to Charge a 195 µF Capacitor to 125 Volts?

In summary, the problem involves charging a capacitor to a potential difference of 125 volts with a current of 3.71 mA. Using the equations Q = CV and Q = IT, the time it takes to charge a 195 µF capacitor is calculated to be 6.55 seconds.
boneill3

Homework Statement

In a camera flash unit, a capacitor is charged up over a period of several seconds (from a battery). The capacitor is discharged very rapidly -- in about 1 millisecond -- into a gas tube producing a very brief, bright flash of light. How long will it take to charge a 195 µF capacitor to a potential difference of 125 volts with a current of 3.71 mA? Answer in seconds.

I was given a hint to solve for Q first.

Homework Equations

Q= CV

Q= 1-e^(t/rc)

The Attempt at a Solution

FIrst I calculated Q= CV to be 195 µF * 125v = 24.3 mC

than I used ohms law to R= V/I = 33.693Kohms

Than I put those values into Q= 1-e^(t/rc)
and solved for t which gave me 162 msec

which was incorrect so I'm note sure where I am going wrong

any pointers?

Physics news on Phys.org
In this problem the current is constant and not exponential. So you have simply
Q = IT

Thanks mate your a ledgend

FIrst I calculated Q= CV to be 195 µF * 125v = 24.3 mC

Q = IT solve for t = Q/I t = 6.55 seconds

1. How do I calculate the charging time of a capacitor?

The charging time of a capacitor can be calculated using the formula t = RC, where t is the charging time in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads.

2. What factors affect the charging time of a capacitor?

The charging time of a capacitor is affected by the capacitance, resistance, and voltage of the circuit. A higher capacitance or lower resistance will result in a longer charging time, while a higher voltage will result in a shorter charging time.

3. How does the type of capacitor affect charging time?

The type of capacitor, such as electrolytic or ceramic, can affect the charging time due to differences in capacitance and internal resistance. Electrolytic capacitors have a higher capacitance and longer charging time compared to ceramic capacitors.

4. Can the charging time of a capacitor be reduced?

Yes, the charging time of a capacitor can be reduced by using a lower resistance or higher voltage in the circuit. Additionally, using a capacitor with a higher capacitance will also result in a shorter charging time.

5. Why is it important to calculate the charging time of a capacitor?

Knowing the charging time of a capacitor is important for understanding the behavior of electronic circuits and ensuring proper functioning. It can also help in the design and optimization of circuits for specific applications.