Why do frozen objects weigh more than unfrozen ones?

• Thread starter jamesd2008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, the conversation discusses the surprising discovery that two frozen cans of lager weigh more than two room temperature cans of the same brand. The participants consider potential reasons for this, with the most likely explanation being the addition of frost on the outside of the cans. Additionally, the concept of weight being related to not just mass, but also energy, is brought up as a possible factor in the weight difference.
jamesd2008
Hi just out of interest. I accidentally froze 2 cans of lager. When I remembered they were in the fridge I got them out, they felt heavier, so I decided to weigh them. I compared this to two unfrozen cans of the same brand. The frozen was heavier. I know that the mass can't of changed? So how can two frozen larger cans weigh more than two room temperature ones? I assume the can is aluminum.

Physics news on Phys.org
They can't. The only possibility is the addition of frost stuck to the outside of the cans.
The hotter an object is the more it should weigh. The difference is tiny. The reason is that weight relates not just to mass but to the total energy of the object. That is the mass-equivalent energy plus the heat energy plus any rotational energy plus any other energy. The mass is many orders of magnitude greater than the others.

thanks map19 for your input.

What is the weight of a frozen object?

The weight of a frozen object can vary depending on its size, shape, and composition. Generally, a frozen object will weigh the same as its unfrozen state.

Does the weight of a frozen object change when it thaws?

No, the weight of a frozen object does not change when it thaws. However, the volume of the object may change due to the expansion of water when it freezes and contracts when it thaws.

How does the weight of a frozen object affect its buoyancy?

The weight of a frozen object does not affect its buoyancy. Buoyancy is determined by the weight of the displaced fluid, not the weight of the object itself.

Can the weight of a frozen object affect its melting point?

Yes, the weight of a frozen object can affect its melting point. The pressure applied to a frozen object can lower its melting point, making it easier to melt. This is known as the Le Chatelier's principle.

What is the relationship between the weight of a frozen object and its density?

The weight of a frozen object is directly proportional to its density. This means that the heavier the object, the more dense it is. However, the density may change when the object is frozen due to the expansion of water molecules.