Starting my Physics degree in October, what should I do/read to prepare?

In summary, to prepare for a Physics degree, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra and calculus. It is also suggested to start working through the textbook that will be used in the first class to get a head start. This approach has been successful for some individuals and can potentially provide a boost in the first semester. Additionally, it is advised to focus on basic math skills and the material that will be covered in the first year of the degree program.
andyatk14
I'm starting a Physics (with Theoretical Physics) degree in October (4 Years), and I'm wondering what I can read up on, or what I can do to prepare myself. I've read a few Feynman books, and read-up on certain areas, but is there anything in particular any of you did to get a head start? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
know your calculus

Better yet, know your algebra. Too many people flunk calculus, and hence physics, because their elementary algebra skills were poorly developed.

I'd take a different approach if your math skills are solid, grab the book you'll be using in your first class early, and start working through it. I know I did that with

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321501217/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and it did wonders for me. I managed to get through 14 chapters before the class started, and with the first 19 or 20 covered in the first semester it gave me a big boost, which allowed me to focus a lot more on my other classes, and still remain ahead of my physics class into the second semester.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second the notion of solidifying your basic math + the text you're going to cover the first year or so. Don't go nuts, the first year or two is going to be fairly basic and if you're in the US, a lot of wasted time in general ed courses.

1. What subjects should I review before starting my Physics degree?

Before starting your Physics degree, it would be helpful to review basic math concepts such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. It would also be beneficial to have a strong understanding of calculus, as it is heavily used in many physics principles.

2. Are there any specific textbooks or resources I should read before starting my degree?

Some recommended resources for preparing for a Physics degree include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David Griffiths, and "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor. Additionally, you can find a variety of free online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare.

3. What programming languages should I learn before starting my Physics degree?

It would be beneficial to have a basic understanding of programming languages such as Python, MATLAB, and C++ before starting your Physics degree. These languages are often used in data analysis and simulations, which are common in physics research.

4. How can I prepare for the rigorous math courses in a Physics degree?

To prepare for the math courses in a Physics degree, it would be helpful to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with mathematical concepts. You can also seek out tutoring or join study groups to supplement your learning.

5. Is there anything else I should do to prepare for my Physics degree?

In addition to reviewing math and physics concepts, it would be beneficial to familiarize yourself with the scientific method and critical thinking skills. You can also attend seminars or workshops related to physics to gain a deeper understanding of the subject and its applications.