Green's Function in Time-Dep. Schrodinger Eqn.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the propagator G(x,t;x',t') as the Green function of the time-dependent Schrodinger equation, using the definition of U(t,t0). It also addresses the use of delta functions and energy eigenstates in the calculation. The final expression involves taking derivatives and integrating, and results in two delta functions.
kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member
Show, from it's definition,

[tex] \psi(x,t) = \int dx' G(x,t;x',t_0) \psi(x',t_0)[/tex]

[tex] G(x,t;x',t_0)= \langle x | U(t,t_0) | x' \rangle [/tex]

that the propagator G(x,t;x',t') is the Green Function of the Time-Dependent Schrodinger Equation,

[tex] \left ( H_x - i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \right ) G(x,t;x',t_0) = -i \hbar \delta(x-x') \delta(t-t') [/tex]

where H is the Hamiltonian expressed as a differential operator in the x representation. Calculate the propagator for a free particle by this method.Is the best way to do this to substitute that form of the propagator into the Schrodinger eqn and take the derivatives? If so, how are the delta functions defined?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I were you, I'd multupily both sides of your final equation by [itex]\psi(x',t_0)[/itex] and integrate over all values of [itex]x'[/itex] and [itex]t_0[/itex]...integrating the delta function terms should be straightforward once you look up the defining properties of the Durac Delta distribution.

I am aware of the usual properties, but thought for some reason they may have a definition in terms of bras/kets in the context of this problem.

So the right hand side integration fixes x'=x and t0=t, so that the RHS is [itex]-i \hbar \psi(x,t)[/itex]

How should I deal with the derivatives on the left? i.e.

[tex]\left ( H_x - i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \right ) \int \int G(x,t;x,t_0) \psi(x',t_0) dx' dt_0= \left ( -H_x- i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \right ) \int \psi(x,t) dt_0=-i\hbar \psi(x,t)[/tex]

The form on the RHS of the equation seems to suggest that only the time derivative contributes. If so, why are the other terms zero?

Last edited:
Edit: I think the part that most confuses me about this is that the time dependent schrodinger equation is,

[tex]\left ( H_x - i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right ) \psi =0[/tex]

In other Green's function problems I have done, there is a function on the RHS of the differential equation.

In this case, the following confuses me:

[tex]\left ( H_x - i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right ) \psi = \left ( H_x - i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right ) \int dx' G(x,t;x',t_0) \psi(x',t_0) = \int \left [ \left ( H_x - i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right ) G(x,t;x',t_0) \right ] \psi(x',t_0) dx' = -i \hbar \int \psi(x', t_0) \delta(x-x') \delta(t-t')dx' [/tex]

[tex]=-i \hbar \psi(x,t_0) \delta(t-t_0)=0[/tex]

[tex] -i \hbar \int \psi(x,t_0) \delta(t-t_0) dt_0 = \int 0 dt_0 [/tex]

[tex]-i \hbar \psi(x,t) = constant[/tex]

Last edited:
Nobody has any thoughts on how to do this? I'm still stuck.

You have to use the expression

[tex]
G(x,t;x',t_0)= \langle x | U(t,t_0) | x' \rangle
[/tex]

for the Green function. Act with

[tex]
\left ( H_x - i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \right )
[/tex]

and use the definition of [tex]U(t,t_0)[/tex].

I can take the differential operator inside and let it act directly on U? I thought so, but I got zero as an answer when I did this:

[tex]\langle x | \left [ \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2 U(t,t_0)}{\partial x^2} + W(x)U(t,t_0) - i\hbar \frac{\partial U(t,t_0)}{\partial t}\right ] | x' \rangle[/tex]

[tex] \langle x | \left [ W(x)U(t,t_0) - H_x U(t,t_0)| x' \rangle = \langle x | W(x)U(t,t_0) - W(x)U(t,t_0) \right ] | x' \rangle =0 [/tex]

since

[tex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial x}=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial t} = \frac{-i H_x}{\hbar}U(t,t_0)[/tex]

Last edited:
You have to be more careful. The states are in the position basis, so you can't just push the x-derivatives past the position states. It might be a good idea to insert a convenient complete set of states into the matrix element. Note that the Green function will satisfy Schrodinger's equation, so you'll get 0 almost everywhere. You will also need to consider the behavior as [tex]t\rightarrow t_0[/tex].

I arrived at the expression

[tex] \left ( H_x - i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \right ) G(x,t;x',t') =...=(2\pi \hbar)^{-1} \left ( H_x - i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \right ) e^{-iV(x') \Delta t/\hbar} \int e^{-ip^2 \Delta t/2m \hbar} e^{ip(x-x')/\hbar} dp[/tex]

At this point should I distribute the derivatives and then integrate, or integrate and then take the derivatives? I must have some delta functions in the answer, which I assume are defined by a Fourier transform?

I would have inserted energy eigenstates. The problem with the momentum eigenstates is that the momentum does not commute with the Hamiltonian in the presence of a non-trivial potential, so [tex]<x|V|p>[/tex] is not proportional to a plane wave. Energy eigenstates would be better, since [tex]<x|n>[/tex] always satisfies the Schrodinger equation. You'll get one delta function from noting that the Green function has a discontinuity at [tex]t=t'[/tex]. The other can be seen by looking at the [tex]t\rightarrow t'[/tex] limit.

Thanks, I think I got it

Last edited:

1. What is the Green's function in the time-dependent Schrodinger equation?

The Green's function in the time-dependent Schrodinger equation is a mathematical function that represents the response of a quantum system to an external perturbation. It allows us to calculate the probability amplitude of a particle at a certain position and time, given its initial state.

2. How is the Green's function related to the time-dependent Schrodinger equation?

The Green's function is the solution to the time-dependent Schrodinger equation with a delta function perturbation. It is obtained by taking the inverse Fourier transform of the time-dependent Schrodinger equation in momentum space.

3. What is the significance of the Green's function in quantum mechanics?

The Green's function is a fundamental tool in quantum mechanics, providing a way to solve the time-dependent Schrodinger equation for a wide range of systems. It allows us to calculate the time evolution of a quantum state and make predictions about the behavior of the system.

4. How is the Green's function used in practical applications?

The Green's function is used in many practical applications, such as calculating the scattering of particles in a potential, determining the energy levels of a quantum system, and studying the dynamics of quantum systems under external fields. It is also used in the development of numerical methods for solving the time-dependent Schrodinger equation.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Green's function in the time-dependent Schrodinger equation?

While the Green's function is a powerful tool in quantum mechanics, it is not always possible to find an analytical solution for complex systems. In these cases, numerical methods must be used, which can be computationally intensive. Additionally, the Green's function assumes a linear response to the perturbation, so it may not accurately describe highly non-linear systems.