Battery Indicator: How to Measure Remaining Energy

• Thread starter Jiggy-Ninja
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, most electronic devices measure the remaining energy in the battery by measuring the voltage. Depending on the battery chemistry, you may or may not be able to tell the % remaining from the output voltage.
Jiggy-Ninja
Pretty much every single electronic device in the world with an internal, rechargeable battery (MP3 player, phones, handheld games, etc) has some way of measuring how much energy is left in the battery.

How do you measure the remaining energy in real time like that? How accurate are those methods?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jiggy-Ninja said:
Pretty much every single electronic device in the world with an internal, rechargeable battery (MP3 player, phones, handheld games, etc) has some way of measuring how much energy is left in the battery.

How do you measure the remaining energy in real time like that? How accurate are those methods?

There are two main methods that I'm aware of. What is the context of your question? Is your question related to schoolwork? If it is, you need to tell us your thoughts on the subject before we can guide you to the answers. Even if it is not directly schoolwork, you should be able to post the results of your research so far.

Hints -- (1) pull up some datasheets on the batteries you are asking about. (2) How could a charging circuit measure and remember energy transfers...?

berkeman said:
There are two main methods that I'm aware of. What is the context of your question? Is your question related to schoolwork? If it is, you need to tell us your thoughts on the subject before we can guide you to the answers. Even if it is not directly schoolwork, you should be able to post the results of your research so far.

Hints -- (1) pull up some datasheets on the batteries you are asking about. (2) How could a charging circuit measure and remember energy transfers...?
Not schoolwork related, just one of those "I wonder how that works?" situations. So I didn't have any specific batteries in mind, just wondering about some ways that it's done in general.

I did some googling, but the results I got were stuff like timing how long the battery takes to drain to figure out the full charge, which obviously doesn't happen for the indicators I'm thinking of. I don't quite know the right magic words to search for to pull out the answer.

My first thought was that there might be some V-Ah (Volt -- Ampere-hours) characteristic curve for to battery, ie the voltage changes in a slight, predictable way depending on the remaining charge in the battery. But then I remembered that the voltage would also vary with the load so that's no good.

I know that when the battery gets drained too far the voltage can drop pretty significantly, but that's not precise enough for something to measure, for example, that the battery is 75% charged.

Jiggy-Ninja said:
Not schoolwork related, just one of those "I wonder how that works?" situations. So I didn't have any specific batteries in mind, just wondering about some ways that it's done in general.

I did some googling, but the results I got were stuff like timing how long the battery takes to drain to figure out the full charge, which obviously doesn't happen for the indicators I'm thinking of. I don't quite know the right magic words to search for to pull out the answer.

My first thought was that there might be some V-Ah (Volt -- Ampere-hours) characteristic curve for to battery, ie the voltage changes in a slight, predictable way depending on the remaining charge in the battery. But then I remembered that the voltage would also vary with the load so that's no good.

I know that when the battery gets drained too far the voltage can drop pretty significantly, but that's not precise enough for something to measure, for example, that the battery is 75% charged.

The two I was thinking of are the keeping track of current and time, and measuring the battery voltage. Depending on the battery chemistry, you may or may not be able to tell the % remaining from the output voltage. The battery datasheet should show the output voltage as a function of time for various output current loadings (multiple curves).

BTW, I just googled Battery Discharge Calculator, and got some interesting hits. Check out the hit list to see if it helps:

http://www.google.com/search?source...L_enUS301US302&q=battery+discharge+calculator

The ones I have seen just give an expanded voltage scale.

So, for a NiCd battery, they give 1 volt as the minimum reading and 1.3 volts as the maximum reading but calibrate it as 0 to 100 % capacity.

Better than nothing, but you can't take the % reading too seriously.

1. How accurate is the battery indicator on my device?

The accuracy of the battery indicator on your device can vary depending on the device itself and the software it uses. In general, battery indicators are not always 100% accurate and can be affected by factors such as usage patterns, temperature, and age of the battery. It is always best to use the battery indicator as a general guide rather than relying on it completely.

2. How does the battery indicator measure remaining energy?

The battery indicator measures remaining energy by monitoring the voltage and current levels of the battery. These levels are then compared to a pre-determined scale to estimate the amount of energy remaining. This estimation is based on the assumption that the battery's voltage and current levels decrease at a consistent rate as it discharges.

3. Can I calibrate the battery indicator to make it more accurate?

Some devices may have a calibration feature for their battery indicator, but it is not recommended to manually calibrate the battery indicator on your own. This is because the software and algorithms used to calculate remaining energy may not be accessible to users and calibrating the battery yourself may actually decrease the accuracy of the indicator. It is best to leave the calibration to the device's manufacturer or a professional technician.

4. How does the battery indicator account for different types of batteries?

The battery indicator is programmed to recognize the characteristics and behavior of different types of batteries, such as lithium-ion, nickel-metal hydride, and lead-acid. Each type of battery has different voltage and current levels, and the indicator uses this information to estimate the remaining energy. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of the indicator may vary between different types of batteries.

5. Is there a more accurate way to measure remaining energy than relying on the battery indicator?

While the battery indicator is the most convenient and commonly used method for measuring remaining energy, there are more accurate ways to measure this. One way is to use a battery tester, which directly measures the voltage and current levels of the battery. Another way is to use a multimeter, which can measure the state of charge of the battery. However, these methods require additional equipment and may not be as easily accessible as the battery indicator on your device.